• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Originally posted by James
    Chris
    Re: templates

The upgrade will not require any manual editing of the templates.
    What do you mean by this? Are the templates not changing at all (i don't see how this is possible as links to private messaging, polls etc must be in the teamplates?) or do you mean that the templates will just all over over written. If not there must be manual editing must it not?

Thanks, looking forward to the middle of next month.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Originally posted by wetherow

Finally (this is probably a separate question), is it possible for the community moderator to _re-title_ forum messages (e.g. from "Opinions needed" to "Communication partnerships - opinions needed"?
    Yes by the Admin Edit link at the bottom of the thread

Is it possible to move a specific message from one thread or forum to another?
    Yes by the Admin Move link at the bottom of the thread

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    Chris

At the moment we don't have any new news to share - and we're sticking to the release schedule I posted four days ago:

At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.
    We may consider releasing a beta version, but it will be at least a month away.

Craig (Re: co-branding)

The co-branding feature will work by looking for a variable on the url query_string, and assigning this value to the user's record in the database. This database value will then be used to select a set of templates / styles to use - that's the extent of my knowledge on this subject

hungrymonkey

We have no plans to offer support for any other database engine (mssql, Oracle, Sybase) in the next version.

Mas*Mind

I believe that John is planning to integrate some kind of "usergrouping by post count" feature.

Re: templates

The upgrade will not require any manual editing of the templates.

While I'm not involved with the development enough to post a daily update, I'll try and keep everyone informed of our progress.

All the best,

James

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Craig, i am 30 mins away, we can go together.. strength in numbers

Can we at least see some beta of how far it is? something please.. how long can it take!

Leave a comment:

• Craig A
    replied
    That will be part of the next release - as was stated above.

I notice that this topic is now on page 8... kinda shows the importance of the next release, so come on guys - what's the latest news ? Will it be ready tommorrow ? Don't forget, I only live five minutes away and I have your address - I might just pop in to see if John really is working away at it, or whether he's in Ibiza!

Leave a comment:

• wetherow
    replied
    Edit: once I posted this, I read back far enough into this forum to find a discussion already underway about subcategories! It's probably an indication of how important this feature will be in a new edition, so I'll let my letter stand, rather than just deleting it).

The subcategory question probably reflects something about the evolving use of bb systems.

p.s. do any of the existing bb systems feature subcategories?

Dave
    -------------------------
    I've already written this privately to Eva, but thought that it might be a 'new feature' suggestion (rather than a current application question):

I'm about to set up a vBulletin application (my first) for a virtual community on assistive technology for people with disabilities (the full app will include training calendars, equipment lending pool, etc.).

Here's my question: is it possible to add at least one more 'layer' (category/forum/thread > category/subcategory/forum/thread > or category/forum/subforum/thread) to vBulletin?

I'll make a concrete example:

On the current vBulletin apps that I'm seeing, I would expect to see:

- Assistive Technology Devices (category)
    -- Communication Devices (forum)
    --- "Liberator" (specific discussion thread)
    --- "How do I ...." (specific discussion thread)
    --- "When I do this..." (specific discussion thread)
    --- "The little screen broke when I..." (specific discussion thread)
    -- Mobility Devices (forum)

What I'd like to see would be:

- AT Devices (category)
    -- Communication Devices (forum)
    --- Liberator (subforum)
    ---- Liberator Programming Issues (sub/subforum)
    ----- "How do I ...." (specific discussion thread)
    ----- "When I do this..." (specific discussion thread)
    ---- Liberator Maintenance Issues (subforum)
    ----- "The little screen broke when I..." (specific discussion thread)
    -- Mobility Devices (forum)

Does that make sense?

I know I could achieve this by purchasing multiple vBulletin licenses (e.g. one for communication devices, one for mobility devices, etc.) but this would have the effect of fragmenting my community.

Finally (this is probably a separate question), is it possible for the community moderator to _re-title_ forum messages (e.g. from "Opinions needed" to "Communication partnerships - opinions needed"?

Is it possible to move a specific message from one thread or forum to another?

Thanks,
    Dave Wetherow

[Edited by wetherow on 09-30-2000 at 11:25 AM]

Leave a comment:

• TWTCommish
    replied
    Originally posted by Aquamarine
    About the "My Page" feature I mentioned before somewhere on this board, it is already working over at flashkit.com! It's their own hack though, but it works wonderfully.

Basically you find a thread you like, click the "add to favorite", and viola, it's in your "my page"!

Take a look:
    http://www.flashkit.com/cgi-bin/myfk/favourites.cgi

Perl, eh? Yuck!

I'm writing a similar hack. Almost done!

Leave a comment:

• Shoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Shoe
    Originally posted by hungrymonkey
    well obviously it would be stupid to use both at the same time....and also its obvious that mysql will be a supported option since its one of the only free database servers...i just want to know if mssql will be supported as well.
    Chill...I responded to what you said--not what you meant

Leave a comment:

• Menno
    replied
    I *think* vB is just gonna be able to run on several different SQL programs (oracle?)

Leave a comment:

• Mas*Mind
    replied
    Dont forget....

This suggestion please; Assign usergroups depending on the number of posts. So if a user posts his 50th post he would automaticly fall into another usergroup. This would make the usergroups very flexible

[Edited by Mas*Mind on 09-29-2000 at 06:01 AM]

Leave a comment:

• Aquamarine
    replied
    About the "My Page" feature I mentioned before somewhere on this board, it is already working over at flashkit.com! It's their own hack though, but it works wonderfully.

Basically you find a thread you like, click the "add to favorite", and viola, it's in your "my page"!

Take a look:
    http://www.flashkit.com/cgi-bin/myfk/favourites.cgi

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    OMG, I would love it if I could run vB on SQL. That way we could run my forums on quad xeons

Leave a comment:

• hungrymonkey
    replied
    well obviously it would be stupid to use both at the same time....and also its obvious that mysql will be a supported option since its one of the only free database servers...i just want to know if mssql will be supported as well.

Leave a comment:

• Shoe
    replied
    Re: can i get confirmation on this feature please.

Originally posted by hungrymonkey
    james, can you confirm that the next version of vbulletin can be integrated with ms sql instead of mysql?
    Hope it's not instead of!

Leave a comment:

• hungrymonkey
    replied
    can i get confirmation on this feature please.

james, can you confirm that the next version of vbulletin can be integrated with ms sql instead of mysql?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X