Can someone post a proper how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone post a proper how to

Can someone post a proper how to, For upgrading from one beta to another such as 21 to 22 I have tried and failed I always get error messages when I try to go to the admincp and the home page is blank .. so I have restored back to 21 again I must assume I am stupid and have no clue as to how to upgrade my site.

Have a look at the Online Manual.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

What steps did you follow to upgrade your forum btw?

Comment

I uploaded unzipped removed the install.php and makeconfig.php I overwrote the files and I ran the upgrade.php. just like I used to do with my vb4 site.

Comment

Is your homepage blank if you select the default skin?
        Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

That is a question I can not answer because I was not able to access the page at all just plain blank white page nothing at all there.. If I decide to try to upgrade here again after the holiday is over I will change to the default skin before I do just in case thats the issue.. I will get back to this after the holiday
          Thank you for you assistance

Comment

Did you make sure to copy over both the config.php file in the root, and the one in core/includes?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Actually No I did not copy them I assumed that when I did the overwrite of the upgrade files it would not even mess with the config files.. as they were working before I started the upgrade to 22

Comment

If you did an overwrite instead of a merge, then all the files would get overwritten and you will not longer have a core/includes/config.php file. You need to save that file before doing the overwrite and then upload it to that directory before doing the upgrade.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                  If you did an overwrite instead of a merge, then all the files would get overwritten and you will not longer have a core/includes/config.php file. You need to save that file before doing the overwrite and then upload it to that directory before doing the upgrade.
                  Not neccesarily. If he uploaded all the files as they stand then none of the config files would have been overwritten as they are both suffixed with .new
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
                    Not neccesarily. If he uploaded all the files as they stand then none of the config files would have been overwritten as they are both suffixed with .new
                    Exactly the config.php files were not overwritten, if you unzip the vb 21 files you will see that there is no config.php in them only the config.php.new

- - - Updated - - -

if I did not have any config files the upgrade.php would not of worked and it did I was able to do the reinstall, but the once active pages would no longer work, the home page was white if you went to sr-gamers.com and the admcp had an error code.. after the holiday I will try to re-run the upgrade, as for now the site is running on beta 21 quite nicely.
                    Merry christamas guys and thank you for taking time out to attend to others needs...
                    Last edited by WhiskeyOSS; Mon 24 Dec '12, 1:58pm.

Comment

A blank page is usually due to a PHP error. You would need to look in your PHP Error log to see what the error is. Without the error, we can't really guess as to what the problem is.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment