Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site confusion

Hi!

I have a really weird problem. As part of trying to upgrade from 3.6.4 to 3.8.7, 4.2.0, or 5.0.0, whatever I can get to work, I've created a duplicate copy of the live site to work on. For some reason now the 'Latest Messages Posted' section of the live, original site is never updated; but anything posted on the live site, shows up on the copy under 'Latest Messages Posted'... The posts themselves however, do not exist on the copy, only the live site...

Brgds

Danny

It sounds like you have the configuration settings muddled up somewhere.
    Did you change anything on the live site at all, for instance the config.php file or the URL settings in the ACP?

It's possible, if you haven't configured it correctly, that when clicking on a link on the test site (for instance to the Admin CP), you have actually been taken back to the live site. This can happen if you don't carefully update all your URLs.

Try logging into the AdminCP of the live site and verify the URLs in there are correct. Also check the config.php file on the live site nto ensure it's pointing to the correct place. Forget the test sites for the moment and just get the live site working. THEN, we can provide advice to get a test site up and running correctly.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Hi!

Yes, the settings in URL section of the Control Panel, Cookie Domain in the Control Panel, and the config.php are all correct. I've been over it a thousand times; there is absolutely no mention of the test site there. And the site works just fine, people are reading and posting, and at no point does the address bar say it's on the test site. As I say, the new posts are also there on the live site to see and reply to, but don't show on 'Latest Messages Posted'... This is what has me perplexed. I can't understand how it is even aware there is a test site. I've also ensured that the Cookie Prefixes are different, so it wouldn't get confused, yet it does.

Brgds

Danny

Comment

Could be some sort of server caching issue.

You could always delete the test sites and their respective databases (make sure you get the right ones!!!) and see if that fixes the live site issue.

A link to your live site might help, see if we can see the same problem.

Comment

Hi!

The live site is cvpug.com, and the test site is digpiano.com/VB364. Please see if you're seeing the same as me; on the live site the newest message is from Dec 6 by Bernal, on the test site Midi Magic Dec 8 - which is what it should be on the live site. I've been wondering if it perhaps is only me seeing this effect due to something cached somewhere. Let me know, and then I'll delete the test (renaming it first just to make sure it doesn't break something else in the live site...)

Brgds

Danny

Comment

You need to make sure your test site is private (behind .htaccess) and also needs to be on the same domain as your licence specifies - ideally in the folder /testvb.

Please correct this straight away so that we can provide further support.

Comment

Hi!

I don't understand what "behind .htaccess" means. There is an .htaccess in digpiano.com/VB364. Is that it, or is it something I should have in there? It used to be a Joomla specific version, but I uninstalled Joomla, and replaced it with a listing of known spam bots to exclude.

digpiano.com is a subdomain to cvpug.com (full path /home/cvpuser/public_html/digpiano.com, where /home/cvpuser is where cvpug.com is installed). Surely that's OK? I don't see the difference between /home/cvpuser/public_html/testvb and /home/cvpuser/public_html/digpiano.com. My plan once digpiano.com is running, is to deregister cvpug.com and move digpiano up a notch (which will be difficult, but that's not something to worry about now).

Brgds

Danny
              Last edited by dbjorck; Sat 8 Dec '12, 5:05am.

Comment

You cannot run two public instances of the software on a single license; which currently is what you're doing.

You may be able to set up the .htaccess automatically using your host's Control Panel (eg Plesk or cPanel).
                There is some information on setting up password protection manually, and other information regarding setting up a test site correctly, in THIS article.
                Or you could ask your host to set up the password protection for you. Most hosts will help out with this.

digpiano.com and cvpug.com are separate domains. You need to have your test installation installed on the same domain as specified in your license, ideally in the folder /testvb.

Until your test site is password protected, you should take it offline as you are in breach of your license.

Comment

Order Deny,Allow
                  Deny from all
                  Allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by oldz442 View Post
                    Order Deny,Allow
                    Deny from all
                    Allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                    You can do it that way but it becomes problematic if you want to invite anyone, and also if your IP is dynamic.

Password is better....like this:
                    http://www.bowlandcentral.com/testvb2/

Comment

I am greedy and keep it all to myself.
                      Last edited by Mark.B; Sat 8 Dec '12, 6:19am. Reason: Reference to a member of my own personal site removed as irrelevant
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Hi!

Can you clarify please where exactly this testvb should go? The current home page of cvpug.com is /home/cvpuser/public_html/forums/index.php. /home/cvpuser/public_html/testvb/forums/index.php? /home/cvpuser/testvb/forums/index.php??

Brgds

Danny

Comment

/home/cvpuser/public_html/testvb/index.php

Comment

Hi!

OK, I think I'm starting to get it. There's loads of stuff in /home/cvpuser/public_html other than forums; I guess that's not part of vBulletin? It looks like Joomla stuff to me.

Brgds

Danny

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Thank you for helping me!!! This is the most help I've had since I started trying to upgrade over three weeks ago! :-)

Brgds

Danny

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!

OK - it is now password protected under public_html/test364. And digpiano.com doesn't exist anymore.

Latest messages posted still is not updated. What now?

Brgds

Danny

Comment

Hi!

I think I found it. There is no 'Latest Messages Posted' functionality in VB364 is there? I uninstalled Joomla, yet when I look at the source code for cvpug.com/index.php, it still includes Joomla scripts. I'm thinking it's Joomla that shows those posts, not VB? Although I uninstalled it, all the scripts are still there. I tried to open the Joomla control panel in cvpug.com, and what do you know, it complains that digpiano.com doesn't exist. Which proves that it was Joomla that was confused, not VB. For the time being I have redirected cvpug.com to cvpug.com/forums.

Brgds

Danny

Comment