So I decided to do a quick upgrade on a small 4.1.11 forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I decided to do a quick upgrade on a small 4.1.11 forum

What could go wrong, I thought, as I downloaded the vb5 package. 24 hours later and I'm restoring my backup. vb5 install just gave me blank white pages*. vb4.2 upgrade stalls due to strict standards. Apparently the server that I run 3.8 and 4.1.11 on isn't compatible with 4.2 or 5.

I'm a big fan of vb. I know there's been issues but I thought rallied from a terrible start and vb5 looked good enough for me to give it a proper live test but here I am unable to use the latest of either version. That's disappointing.

*I ran the vb check script and got the all clear

btw have there been any security patches post Security patch: 4.1.11 Suite PL3 or am I safe running that live?

/feedback

What are your versions of php and MySQL?
    We should at the very least be able to get you up to 4.2.2.
    If you want to send a support ticket for my attention I'll try to assist. Might be worth creating a "mirror" test site that we can play around with without messing with the live site.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Hi Mark,

PHP 5.4.25
      MYSQL 5.5.33-cll-lve

I'm happy enough staying with 4.1.11 pl3 if it's safe. It's only a small forum that I use to interact with customers and no-one else. Registration is closed, most of it is private, and only trusted users can post at all so it should be pretty safe.

With the vb5 upgrade attempt it seemed like the rewrites weren't working properly because the forum is in a subdir. With the vb4 upgrade it was

Code:
      Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Shutdown::instance() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /var/www/vhosts/*******/httpdocs/support/includes/class_core.php on line 3337
      which according to my searches was to do with the php version. I tried various workarounds to no avail and then gave up.

I just found it kind of bizarre that my older versions work fine whereas the upgrades don't. I think I had the similar with php5.4 and 3.8.x but can't remember exactly how I got around that.

Anyway I was just venting, it's not mission critical so I won't ticket you. I appreciate the offer though. I'll just set up a test domain and test things out a bit. Cheers

Comment

Blank page (on upgrade/install), is caused by incorrect MySQL information.

Comment

Now that I think of it it wasn't blank pages at first. First thing was the upgrade page but with the image not showing. Then it got progressively worse from there. The image not showing was a clue that the rewrites were not working. I got to the fill in the info page and that couldn't write to the files. I checked the perms and changed them so they were writable but the rewrites not working meant my error log would have some sort of not found error. I then went into the htaccess and uncommented the rewrite line and put in /forum/ - no joy. Also manually edited the configs too. tbh I can't remember the exact events from then on but I gave up and thought "I'll just upgrade to the latest 4 and then revisit the whole vb5 thing another times" at which stage I got the strict warnings and upgrade quitting. So I restored my back up.

With the vb5 thing I'm pretty sure it was a rewrite issue at the heart of everything and basically down to the forum being in a subdir. I'll try again another time.

Comment

4.1.11 is not compatible with php 5.4, so you'll need to downgrade to php 5.3, or upgrade to vB 4.2.2 (which adds php 5.4 compatibility).
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Better still, 4.2.3 Beta, which fixes a small number of 5.4 issues missed in 4.2.2
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Also, if you installed vB5 in a /directory directory, you will need to change this line in your .htaccess file:

#RewriteBase /

to this line:

RewriteBase /directory/

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yeah I also tried that at the time, Lynne. No joy.

@Mark - I'm running vb4.1.11 on php5.4.25 fine - I'm also running 3.8.x fine too. What I think is they were probably installed/upgraded when I had an earlier php. I've done quite a lot of my own changes to the 3.8 since but the 4.1.11 is vanilla.

@Paul I'll give 4.2.3 a go this week (maybe the weekend)

but I also want to try an upgrade to 5. I'll have to do it in a different subdir though. If it's currently in domain.com/subdir/ and I want to try it in domain.com/testdir/ what should i edit in the test copy of the database? bburl and attachpath in settings table? There's stuff in the datastore too - should i just truncate that? And maybe the session table too?

One thing I failed to mention is the forum is on https - could that be it? It's running fine for me on 4.1.11

Cheers

Comment

If you are going to move it to a different subdirectory, then turn off the live forum, change the URLs in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Forum URL, then do the database backup, and then change the URLs back to what they should be and turn your live site back on. You can't just edit the settings table in the database as the URLs are also stored as serialized data in the datastore table.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Well that's me told! Will do that for both upgrade attempts cheers. I'll report back later on it (not doing it rightaway).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                        Better still, 4.2.3 Beta, which fixes a small number of 5.4 issues missed in 4.2.2

This went perfectly in a test dir. Zero issues. 4.1.11->4.2.3 beta 1...pushed live

Trying 5.1.3 rc1 next

Nope. Stuck at: Upgrading to 5.1.3 Release Candidate 1
                        Status: Processing 4.1.12 Alpha 1, Step 2 of 1 with this in my error log:
                        PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method vB_Upgrade_4112a1::step_2() in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/vb5beta/core/install/includes/class_upgrade.php on line 1762, referer: https://www.domain.com/vb5beta/core/install/upgrade.php
                        Last edited by punchbowl; Mon 1st Sep '14, 8:45am.

Comment