No announcement yet.

Upgrading from 4.0 - Error: Could not open frontend config file

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrading from 4.0 - Error: Could not open frontend config file

    I'm upgrading my forum from 4.0.2 to vB 5 (thankfully I'm trying this on a mirror test install first), and I manually edited both the /config.php and /core/includes/config.php because the makeconfig.php script wouldn't do it automatically. But then when I try to progress to the next step in the update script, I get a white screen that just says "Error: Could not open frontend config file." I've searched through the forums for answers on this, but can't find anything that works for my situation. Help please?

  • #2
    You DO NOT NEED to edit the main config.php Modify JUST the core/includes/config.php file as the one in the root directory is already set as should.
    Cu Respect / Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    roStyles Design LLC
    CEO & Founder (Design and Support)
    Romanian Translator
    Teascu Dorin
    [email protected]


    • #3
      I didn't edit the content of the /config.php file--just changed the file name on the server to remove the .bkp. I added my database info to /core/includes/config.php.


      • #4
        Did you only rename it or did you open it and save it? check the permissions on the file and make sure they are 644.

        Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

        W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help


        • #5
          I just renamed it. And permissions are 644.


          • #6
            Solved this by running the install from, instead of like the upgrade docs instruct.


            • #7
              Running the installer, would possibly remove your old data.


              • #8
                I removed install.php before I ran the install, so upgrade.php was the only option--avoiding my old data being overwritten. But when I tried to run .../core/install/upgrade.php directly, it started adding an endless string of core/install/core/install/core/install to the URL until the browser gave me an endless loop error message. The upgrade script would ONLY run if I entered without /upgrade.php at the end of it. Incidentally the upgrade did go smoothly from that point.


                Related Topics