Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 4.2.1 to 5.0.5 Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_userinfo()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 4.2.1 to 5.0.5 Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_userinfo()

I unzipped package, edited config files (both) and uploaded. When I go to upgrade.php it asks for my customer number but when I click the Enter Upgrade Center button I get:

Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_userinfo() on a non-object in /home/phototal/public_html/forum/core/vb/library/user.php on line 722

I saw the sticky topic with the alternate config file in the root directory so I tried that. Same result.

Next I searched for other solutions. One suggested a BOM character issue in the config files so I deleted the files both local and remote, unzipped, edited with Notepad++ and uploaded again. Same result.

I then found an item on the bug list pertaining to NEW installs that is the exact same behavior. It has been closed as fixed...for new installs. And there is reference to running upgrades from the command line possibly working. Sure enough if I go to install.php I don't get the error.

But I'm not doing a new install, and I don't have command line access to the server. I need the web interface to work. Previous upgrades have taken me less than an hour. Last night I spent over 7 hours on this and nada.

Here are my hosting specs:
    Server Type: Linux
    Web Server: Apache (cgi-fcgi)
    PHP Version: 5.3.18
    PHP Max Post Size: 12.00 MB
    PHP Maximum Upload Size: 10.00 MB
    PHP Memory Limit: 256.00 MB
    MySQL Version: 5.1.67-rel14.3-log
    MySQL Packet Size: 8.00 MB

1. the config.php from the root directory should not be edited anymore
    2. make sure that all files are uploaded correctly and you replace the existing one
    3. I would not recommend the transition yet to vB 5
    Cu Respect / Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

roStyles Design LLC
    CEO & Founder (Design and Support)
    Romanian Translator
    Teascu Dorin
    [email protected]
    https://www.rostyles.com

Comment

Make sure to delete your 4.2.1 files and directories. Then upload the vBulletin 5 files again.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Like I said, "I deleted the files both local and remote" then started from scratch by unzipping the 5.0.5 download, editing the config files and uploading everything again. Appears to be the same as this bug report: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-11100.

Also, per the upgrade instructions I didn't upload into the 4.2.1 folder initially either. I created a new empty folder for 5.0.5 and removed the 4.2.1 folder

Comment

The bug report you're linking to is marked as fixed in 5.0.5. If it is still occurring, please provide more information in the JIRA entry and petition to re-open.

I am not able to recreate your issue using a current download of the 5.0.5 package though.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I've submitted a trouble ticket and will update with the resolution.

Wayne - I appreciate the responses. If we can find a resolution I'll also post to the JIRA entry. I have upgraded versions several times on multiple sites (not v5 though). This is the first time I haven't been able to get it to work.

Comment

OK, got it to work. Had to edit the config.php file in the core/includes folder and change dbtype from "msql" to "msqli"

The support ticket says they are aware of the issue and have resolved it, but it won't be available until build 5.1.

Comment