Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski-Whiz
    replied
    I am in a similar boat. I've had vbulletin on asite since vB3. I've installed mods through the years.

I upgraded from vB4 to vB5. I'm having a lot of issues with the upgrade.

I'm debating with just doing a complete fresh installation. Because I'm sure there are a LOT of extra tables, and field entries left over from mods. Especially since back in the day, you couldn't uninstall a mod.

One thing I didn't know, is to uninstall mods before the switch. So now, I don't have that ability to uninstall the mods.

So question, is there any way to port over users and or posts to a fresh install? I can only think this is the reason I'm having issues.

I tested vB5 on a fresh install and didn't see these issues, so I'm thinking it's my upgrade that is the reason for my troubles.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    No, it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• teamshultz
    replied
    Thanks for the advice. How extensive are the file changes with the upgrade? One of our top guys has concerns about the fact that we've upgraded every time since early version 3. Does vBulletin suffer from being upgraded constantly versus at least one fresh install after so many years of use?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    You'd upgrade, no fresh install. You're making things 1000x worse for yourself trying to do it the other way. Uninstall what you don't want prior to the upgrade.

Moving servers: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers

Leave a comment:

• teamshultz
    started a topic Fresh install + data migration

Fresh install + data migration

My organization just purchased vBulletin 5 Connect. We're currently running vb 4.2, but we'd prefer to do a fresh install to get rid of all the junk that's accumulated over the years. We'd like to retain our user database and migrate over the forums/threads that we want to keep. What is the best path for this? Should we upgrade the current site before moving the data or is there a way to migrate data from an older version?