Updating text nodes - step 11 of 25 - never ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating text nodes - step 11 of 25 - never ending

is it normal for step 11 of 25 'Updating text nodes.' to take more than 8 hours? I let it run overnight and it was still chugging along at a snails pace. It's doing something because the details window is showing some slow progress, but it seems like something is wrong.

I've halted the browser based upgrade and I'm resuming it via command line. same thing... the 'updating text nodes' are still taking forever. it chugs through one line every 30 seconds... this could take weeks to complete at this rate!

Code:
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.
    Updating text nodes.

Comment

How many posts does your forum have? This is the most lengthy part of the upgrade. All posts, threads, group messages, blogs, etc... are all being converted to nodes.

Comment

All batched steps should show what nodes (or other items) they are processing, so you can visually see the progess - this steps seems to have overlooked that requirement - that should be logged in Jira.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
          How many posts does your forum have? This is the most lengthy part of the upgrade. All posts, threads, group messages, blogs, etc... are all being converted to nodes.

I have ~4M posts on the forum. I understand it had a lot to chunk through, but at 30 seconds per node, it was going to take weeks to complete. I ended up stopping the process, then I repaired the posts and threads tables (even thought they weren't showing any errors). then I re-started the upgrade, and it blasted through at a reasonably fast pace of hundreds per 30 seconds.

Comment

I am in same process, I have around 7 million posts, does every line means 1 node?

I've calculated that 40 lines per minute, that means 57.600 lines per day. So it will take around 100 days to deal with 7 million nodes?

And if I close browser and start a new upgrade, it starts from beginning or continue where it halt?

Comment

If you have 7 million posts you should really be running the upgrade on the command line.

Yes it will take a long time to go through all those. How long depends on the server. Just periodically check it's still moving (in the web UI, highlight one of the lines and check it moves up the list).

If you refresh it it carries on where it left off but do NOT do this unless you're certain it has stopped using the test above. If it's still moving, leave it be.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                If you have 7 million posts you should really be running the upgrade on the command line.

Yes it will take a long time to go through all those. How long depends on the server. Just periodically check it's still moving (in the web UI, highlight one of the lines and check it moves up the list).

If you refresh it it carries on where it left off but do NOT do this unless you're certain it has stopped using the test above. If it's still moving, leave it be.
                Thanks for reply.

Let's say I started it on command line, but in order to check if it continues, time to time I have to check in web, so I have to click "begin upgrade" button on web ui, does it make harm in continuous progress?

And does it work on server side or user side? I mean if I shut computer down, process ends or continues on server?

Comment

Originally posted by SSLife View Post

Thanks for reply.

Let's say I started it on command line, but in order to check if it continues, time to time I have to check in web, so I have to click "begin upgrade" button on web ui, does it make harm in continuous progress?
                  No, don't do that, you'lll cause all manner of issues.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here....there's no magic way to speed things up, if you've 7 million posts it's going to take a long time.

Using the command line doesn't actually make it faster, it just means you won't get web timeouts which can happen on large sites using the web interface. That said, I've upgraded sites with multi-million post counts using the web interface where I just had no option. Keep an eye on it to ensure it hasn't stopped and you'll be fine.

In short, if the web upgrader is running - let it carry on. Just periodically check it hasn't stopped, if it has (and ONLY if it has!), refresh it and it will pick up where it left off.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X