Two suggestions vB5 PHP8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two suggestions vB5 PHP8

1) Add a Sidebar Option (everywhere except in the postbit) in the builder / Edit Page or something like that so that the admins can place different content (Twitter & Facebook page, responsive photos and videos, etc.) inside the sidebard.

2) Add a horizontal postbit.

Regards
    Last edited by lange; Thu 2 Sep '21, 5:47pm.

You'll need to check whether these have been added in the Tracker yet and post these (separately) in there if they don't exist. Developers won't take suggestions from here into account when looking at future versions.

When raising this, I wouldn't tag these with PHP8 as the PHP version will be irrelevant to these.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
      When raising this, I wouldn't tag these with PHP8 as the PHP version will be irrelevant to these.
      You are right. We've been waiting for the next version for so long. I don't know why, I still have in mind that the next version will be a version 6 which will not be the case.

These two options are already done on my test forum, then I should be able to port the templates & CSS on my own in the next version otherwise I will pay again to do the job.

Thanks

Comment

1) Add a Sidebar Option (everywhere except in the postbit) in the builder / Edit Page or something like that so that the admins can place different content (Twitter & Facebook page, responsive photos and videos, etc.) inside the sidebard.
        You can already change page layouts to include a sidebar. This isn't something that every customer wants. We've received many complaints about having a sidebar on the default homepage. So many that we have added a "Classic" layout that can be accessed via Site Builder's Quick Setup tool. I don't think it will become a default feature. especially since pages can be customized to do this already using the provided Layouts. Edit page and change the layouts. Add your own custom HTML to a Static HTML module to pull in information from other sites.

2) Add a horizontal postbit.
        This is another very controversial feature. That controversy is one of the reasons it was removed from display on desktop/laptop browsers in 5.X. It was available as an option in vBulletin 4.X. I am pretty sure it can be re-enabled with custom CSS.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

It's OK, no problem, I can live without it.

(I meant to add a sidebar not only on the homepage with the Builder but also on display_forum for example. I tried adding a sidebar in display_forum with the Builder, it didn't work, maybe I'm doing it wrong).

Sorry, without sidebar on the homepage, I switch to another forum script.

Comment

If you have complaints from some members, it may be that these members are not working hard enough to personalize their forum.

At least leave it as is without removing anything.
            Last edited by lange; Sat 11 Sep '21, 8:25am.

Comment

Just edit any Forum page and choose an appropriate layout in Site Builder. All forums will inherit the layout through the template if they aren't using a custom page template.

You're a big template editor though so your edits may be causing problems. There is no way to tell without accessing the server and seeing the generated HTML. Screenshots wouldn't help diagnose these things.

If you have complaints from some members, it may be that these members are not working hard enough to personalize their forum.
              If I had to guess... In the history of vBulletin less than 10% actually dig in and customize their sites. Most customers use "off-the-shelf" styles and install addons but they don't actually do any customization themselves. Even with Site Builder and 15 different Themes, very few customers actually change their layouts.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I will try tomorrow on a fresh new default vB theme with the default templates only.

Will give feedback tomorrow, going to bed now, im tired.

Comment

This works on both the default style and my custom style. In both cases, the drag and drop does not work as on the homepage. I had to double click on a layout for it to work. I do some interesting things with this option. Thank you so much.

Comment

You don't drag layouts since there can only be one per page. A single click should work.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      Just edit any Forum page and choose an appropriate layout in Site Builder. All forums will inherit the layout through the template if they aren't using a custom page template..
                      Just to give more feedback on this option. It works perfectly. As you mentioned, the sidebar is ported to all forums.

I also noticed that the sidebar does not support conditionals (it's static HTML) unlike my custom sidebar which supports conditionals. It's annoying but just a little bit because I can use both types.

Comment

Originally posted by lange View Post
                        I also noticed that the sidebar does not support conditionals (it's static HTML) unlike my custom sidebar which supports conditionals. It's annoying but just a little bit because I can use both types.
                        More context is needed here. Conditionals for what?

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          Conditionals for what?
                          The custom sidebar uses conditionals on Usergroups OR on Channels OR on both Usergroups and Channels to produce different content inside the sidebar on a per channel basis. The sidebar can integrate different content for each channel or for a set of channels (array).

Edit: To be clear, I know how to use conditionals but I don't know how to apply my conditionals inside the sidebar produced by the Builder. I think it is not possible with the Builder.
                          Last edited by lange; Fri 8 Oct '21, 5:57pm.

Comment

Originally posted by lange View Post
                            The custom sidebar uses conditionals on Usergroups OR on Channels OR on both Usergroups and Channels to produce different content inside the sidebar on a per channel basis. The sidebar can integrate different content for each channel or for a set of channels (array).

Edit: To be clear, I know how to use conditionals but I don't know how to apply my conditionals inside the sidebar produced by the Builder. I think it is not possible with the Builder.
                            1. You can show a different sidebar for each channel. Even a completely different page layout for each channel. Each side bar can contain its own modules. No conditionals needed.

Edit the channel page, Save the channel page, Tell it not to overwrite the template, Create a new template with a unique name i.e <channel name> page template. Edit the page again, Add your new modules. Save it. (and yes, I think this process should be simplified.)

2. You can show different modules based on Usergroup. Every single module has a View Permission that can be set to one or more usergroups. Or all of them. No template conditionals needed. You can use this in combination with #1 to create as many custom views as you want. However, the more custom views you create this way, the larger your cache will be.

3. You can show different modules at different screen resolutions. There are three different resolution break points - Small (phones), Medium (many tablets), Large (laptops, desktops, televisions). Some tablets will overlap between medium and large depending on whether they are in portrait or landscape mode.

4. You can even run PHP and query the database using custom templates and the Display Template module.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank you very much Wayne. I will try it.

Please could you edit and remove the attachment in your reply, it was just to help you with my reply.

Regards

Comment