Thumbnail Opening Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbnail Opening Behavior

I just had this pointed out to me by several members that when a user attaches a picture file (or several of them) when you open that file you need to click the browsers back button to get back to the forum and when that pic is embedded it opens into a new window.
    Am I missing a setting or something? can we restore it back to the way VB 3/4 opened attachments into a slideshow windows where you can simply click next to view the next attachment? as a bit of a work around I've set it so thumbnails are full sized.
    Yes aware that the "shared photo" is a slideshow however it's not the preferred way images are used on my site. I think this would be a nice feature to restore as it doesn't matter how many tutorials I wright my users are stuck in their old ways.
    Last edited by Mr Peabody; Wed 10 Jun '20, 10:47pm.

Yes. I went through the same thing. According to vb5 attachments are not images so the Lightbox does not function. The user needs to upload images (camera icon) to be considered an image.

Comment

Well it isn't that they aren't considered images. It is that the Photo Gallery content type was designed to work differently.

When vBulletin 5 was conceived, only images could be attached and only through the Photo Gallery Content Type. This was done to try and simplify things for the majority of users and make the software easier to use from mobile devices.

Alpha and Beta testers didn't like this. So the ability to add and attach other file types to posts was added back in. This method of attachment also includes image file types since they are valid. This created multiple flows of how to attach images. To complicate matters, the photos attached to a Photo Gallery cannot be inserted inline within the content of a post. This is done now via the Insert Image tool. And adds a third way to add images to a post.

There is an open issue to show all attachments in a lightbox. You can see it here - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-11752
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Well it isn't that they aren't considered images. It is that the Photo Gallery content type was designed to work differently.

When vBulletin 5 was conceived, only images could be attached and only through the Photo Gallery Content Type. This was done to try and simplify things for the majority of users and make the software easier to use from mobile devices.

Alpha and Beta testers didn't like this. So the ability to add and attach other file types to posts was added back in. This method of attachment also includes image file types since they are valid. This created multiple flows of how to attach images. To complicate matters, the photos attached to a Photo Gallery cannot be inserted inline within the content of a post. This is done now via the Insert Image tool. And adds a third way to add images to a post.

There is an open issue to show all attachments in a lightbox. You can see it here - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-11752
        I voted on this universal lightbox and really hope this get priority in the near future because I think it would greatly improve the software and now it's been brought to my attention I cant unsee it
        I was telling my users no no VB4 worked the same way but they proved me wrong which was embarrassing to say the least.
        Thanks for the responses as I said I made the Thumbnails full sized and wrote yet another tutorial which I'm sure will be ignored.
        Cheers

Comment

There's a lot to process. Ideally there would be one way to upload images, not three. Or four, as drag and drop uploads are also a request. Ideally, all images would appear in the same format, lightbox or otherwise. Ideally, administrators could enable or disable the toolbar or editor functions they do or do not want used. I voted for this feature not because I'm sure I'll use it but because it makes more sense than the current methodology and should enable the other features outlined here in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
            Or four, as drag and drop uploads are also a request.
            This already exists. Copy and Paste is the current request. This is just a methodology of adding attachments. Not really a new method of creating attachments in itself.

Personally, I have the idea of "Content Blocks" instead of Content Types. So you can add links with descriptions, photo galleries, polls, video, audio, and other content in any post without having to worry about the choosing before hand. It would be a big change overall.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
              There's a lot to process. Ideally there would be one way to upload images, not three. Or four, as drag and drop uploads are also a request. Ideally, all images would appear in the same format, lightbox or otherwise. Ideally, administrators could enable or disable the toolbar or editor functions they do or do not want used. I voted for this feature not because I'm sure I'll use it but because it makes more sense than the current methodology and should enable the other features outlined here in the future.
              Have to agree.
              The amount of posts I see where people get confused and posted both type of attachments is incredible. I think its because if you upload photo's to the old embedded system and have the new Slide Show upload box open a pop up appears telling the user they haven't uploaded anything so then they upload the images again in confusion.
              Last edited by Mr Peabody; Thu 11 Jun '20, 5:52pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

This already exists. Copy and Paste is the current request. This is just a methodology of adding attachments. Not really a new method of creating attachments in itself.

Personally, I have the idea of "Content Blocks" instead of Content Types. So you can add links with descriptions, photo galleries, polls, video, audio, and other content in any post without having to worry about the choosing before hand. It would be a big change overall.
                I'd definitely vote for a solution along those lines. Most events have multiple content types. I think that would solve a lot of problems.

Comment

I'd vote for that as well. Before our update to vb5 we had 265,000 images that now cannot be viewed in an efficient way.

Comment

Is there a way to disable the embedded A attachment option in the editor and just use the new system until some sort of universal lightbox can be implemented, Also I'd like to increase the size of the thumbnails for the new slide show/photo album if possible.

Comment