Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delicjous
    replied
    You should start with this skeleton. It will show you the way to make a module for vB5.
    https://vbulletin.org/forum/showthre...light=skeleton

There are also examples on do_not_upload folder of each vB5 download-folder.

But you still need skills in html, css, jquery and php.

To make a mod for ckeditor like you mention, you need to change core-files. But as I wrote you in the pm... it is not working the same way the old one did. So you need to find all functions used by this ckeditor action and work on it.

This is not a beginner, you need to try understand the api first.

After you get this, you could start to try understand ckeditor and core-hacks.

Leave a comment:

• delicjous
    commented on 's reply
    In fact I did advertise it more than 2 years and had a forum to do so. Iam tired to answer the question why a mod costs 5 (dollar/euro) which I work 50 hours for. Or all the comments that vB is bad ... and a lot more! I only want to clarify that it is possible to make mods and there are others than the one all reffering to. I have customers but also family and not that much time. So I will leave it that way

• In Omnibus
    commented on 's reply
    Now I'm going to be impolite. You do not advertise that you accept paid work in your signature. In fact, your signature at vBulletin.org, the place for paid work read as follows: "vBulletin-Forum.de closed!" So, if you're accepting paid work there is no way anyone would know that. If you are, in fact, accepting paid work and are able to help this customer I am positive they would appreciate it. You might also want to do something more than jump me in the comments to indicate you are accepting paid work In fact, I might have been directing more people your way instead of referring everyone to Glenn if there had been any indication you are doing paid work. Putting out a couple of simple modifications with a pro version doesn't mean you accept paid work. You know what does? Advertising that you accept paid work.

• delicjous
    commented on 's reply
    Whatever, my customers appreciate my work and Glenn seems to be offline for a while now.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Really don't know how to give guidance unless people ask specific questions. People don't so they don't get answers. I can't force people to ask questions. Heck, I can't even get people to answer the questions I ask when trying to give support 90% of the time.

If you want to learn how to code vBulletin, then you need to learn object oriented programming in both Javascript and PHP. It really is that easy. I have posted the API for every version of vBulletin since 5.1.2 on my site (linked in my signature on every single post). We have created hundreds of lines of documentation code in the do_not_upload folder and in the /core/packages code. The vBulletin code is visual source so can be reviewed and looked at. Everything is documented since that is what I make the API documentation for.

The template language hasn't changed much since vBulletin 3. Just added to. It is also visual source and can be reviewed by anyone with access to a vBulletin installation.

Even the code for our implementation CKEditor is available. It is just Javascript.

Pretty much every single option in the AdminCP also has inline help. However, people don't use it. Manuals and books have been written and people don't use them either.

In short, the post above is very passionate but will not resolve any of your issues because it has no questions and nothing to answer.

Leave a comment:

• Blackhorse
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    I would like to add that many people don't need to code PHP to do what they want. vBulletin 5 is supports more customization than any previous version with:
    1. Site Builder,
    2. Static HTML Modules,
    3. PHP Modules,
    4. Ad Modules,
    5. Template Hooks,
    6. ability to retrieve database information from a template via API or Database calls,
    7. Template calls from within Templates
    8. New Content Types
    9. Style Variable Expansion
    10. Style Variable Inheritance
    11. 100% CSS controlled Layout.
    12. Responsive Device Support (phones, tablets, laptops, and large monitors are all supported.)
    13. and new features like Editable Page URLs, STOPFORUMSPAM support, IPv6 Support, the ability to show profile fields in posts, and many more.
    Adding template hooks is easy. You can turn on the display of their locations in the AdminCP and clicking on a location allows you to add the template hook. You can even pass variables from the parent template to the template on the hook. No PHP necessary.

The only things that require PHP coding are PHP Hooks and API Extensions. While we added hooks based on customer demand, these work differently than in vBulletin 4.X. They are no longer insecure blobs of code stuck in the database.

Since 2013, the developers have resolved 17,000 issues in the software. A lot of those were carried over from vBulletin 3 and 4. In fact everything in the list above were requests to be added in vBulletin 3 and 4. Many of them are new feature requests from customers and market changes.

vBulletin 5 also ships with a number of "Add-on Packages" in the default install. These include Google Login, Twitter Login, Native Ad support via Nativo, Ad support from Viglink, Anti-virus scanning of attachments, the scalable search, and sphinx search support. On vBulletin Cloud, we created a "File Manager" add-on so they can upload images to use within their custom CSS. These can be found in the /core/packages directory. We've also provided example code to add new Social Sharing buttons and accessing PHP Hooks within the 'do_not_upload' folder of the download package.

In addition to this, some areas of the code are extendable just by adding new files to the system. These areas include geoip functionality, password hashing, suspect file scanning, and adding new hooks.

AND

"only coder writing modifications for vBulletin 5 is a former vBulletin developer"
    If that's the case, There should be guidelines or developer education to start as owners to learn how to make use of that huge utilities

Glenn is very busy now not answering.. so how would we manage?

Do we need to say we just have a very good software but waiting for a former vBulletin to appear one day?

Please Wayne, I am really believing in the abilities of this software, and we can learn easily but just we need guidance to make use of this software as our right as owners providing services, referring us each time to vbuulletin.org that has nothing to do with vBulletin 5 is not positive building of our knowledge of software or our feeling of its abilities.

You can even do paid course how to develop and how to make hooks and add plugins by the way that is secure and very useful to make use of vBulletin advantages.

The only one who helped for that was Glenn, Now Glenn is very busy with his new job, I bet we are in a big trouble now!

even the good coders all say the same answer: I DON'T understand vBulletin. Is that giving the sense of Proudness? yes, it will but for the coders sake only, but for your customers us? iot is totally not good!.

As an example, in the 1st problem I face after Glenn Disappearance, I have contacted coders for ckeditors, and they said they can't help with vBulletin, we have to return back to you, It is an endless consuming cycle!

Please we really need guidance, We need a written elaborated " HOW TO", We are smart enough to learn and make this environment showing its greatness

Please help us with that!

Thanx

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    commented on 's reply
    It wasn't my intention to be exclusionary but Glenn is the only one I am firsthand aware is accepting paid work.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    Since it wasn't an absolute statement, it is fairly correct.

• delicjous
    commented on 's reply
    "That's why about the only coder writing modifications for vBulletin 5 is a former vBulletin developer." <-- That is not correct ;-)

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I would like to add that many people don't need to code PHP to do what they want. vBulletin 5 is supports more customization than any previous version with:
    1. Site Builder,
    2. Static HTML Modules,
    3. PHP Modules,
    4. Ad Modules,
    5. Template Hooks,
    6. ability to retrieve database information from a template via API or Database calls,
    7. Template calls from within Templates
    8. New Content Types
    9. Style Variable Expansion
    10. Style Variable Inheritance
    11. 100% CSS controlled Layout.
    12. Responsive Device Support (phones, tablets, laptops, and large monitors are all supported.)
    13. and new features like Editable Page URLs, STOPFORUMSPAM support, IPv6 Support, the ability to show profile fields in posts, and many more.
    Adding template hooks is easy. You can turn on the display of their locations in the AdminCP and clicking on a location allows you to add the template hook. You can even pass variables from the parent template to the template on the hook. No PHP necessary.

The only things that require PHP coding are PHP Hooks and API Extensions. While we added hooks based on customer demand, these work differently than in vBulletin 4.X. They are no longer insecure blobs of code stuck in the database.

Since 2013, the developers have resolved 17,000 issues in the software. A lot of those were carried over from vBulletin 3 and 4. In fact everything in the list above were requests to be added in vBulletin 3 and 4. Many of them are new feature requests from customers and market changes.

vBulletin 5 also ships with a number of "Add-on Packages" in the default install. These include Google Login, Twitter Login, Native Ad support via Nativo, Ad support from Viglink, Anti-virus scanning of attachments, the scalable search, and sphinx search support. On vBulletin Cloud, we created a "File Manager" add-on so they can upload images to use within their custom CSS. These can be found in the /core/packages directory. We've also provided example code to add new Social Sharing buttons and accessing PHP Hooks within the 'do_not_upload' folder of the download package.

In addition to this, some areas of the code are extendable just by adding new files to the system. These areas include geoip functionality, password hashing, suspect file scanning, and adding new hooks.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by migratoria View Post
    More popular forums provide additional plugins.

Obviously no one asks that they should be free.
    The biggest problem is most of the modifications for vBulletin 4 were written by coders who are hackers, not developers. That worked for vBulletin 4. It doesn't work for vBulletin 5. That's why about the only coder writing modifications for vBulletin 5 is a former vBulletin developer. Even good modification coders know there is a huge difference between coding for vBulletin 4 and vBulletin 5. If you want something that's easily hacked vBulletin 5 isn't it. That's why so many hackers left for another forum software. It's easily hackable.

The developers can't both focus on the core software and write modifications. And it would be unreasonable to expect IB / MMR to pay for that development.

If you require modifications, and I have never seen a site that required them, contact Glenn Vergara.

Leave a comment:

• migratoria
    replied
    More popular forums provide additional plugins.

Obviously no one asks that they should be free.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Unlike vbulletin 4 I noticed that mod developers for vbulletin 5 are very rare. Wouldn't it be appropriate to create a special room here on vbulletin.com
    No. This would leave is in a position where we would be constantly expected to provide support for modifications, which we can't do.

and above all to make vbulletin 4 mods compatible?
    This isn't remotely possible. The architecture of vBulletin 5 is massively different from vBulletin 4. Everything would have to be rewritten from scratch AND we wouldn't have permission to do that because the original work is not our property.
    Besides which, who pays for all the expensive developer time to do that work?

Leave a comment:

• migratoria
    started a topic Mod for vbulletin5

Mod for vbulletin5

Unlike vbulletin 4 I noticed that mod developers for vbulletin 5 are very rare. Wouldn't it be appropriate to create a special room here on vbulletin.com and above all to make vbulletin 4 mods compatible?