Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Facebook, Google and Twitter got it all wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My school has just recommended a website for me for her exam revision planning..

https://getrevising.co.uk/planner

It's basically an online calendar with some other bits added on. They reckon they can allow unlimited access to their site for 4.99 per month, so it appears to be basically a subscription business model.

Now if vB5 had a calendar and you were able to restrict contribution to subscription groups you could do something similar with vB, although probably with more functionality.

Comment

+1 Calendar

Please

Comment

• jdj
        jdj commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. Do remember to vote.... :-)

I'm not all that interested in the calendar feature, but I do understand its value and in particular, there's a lot of sentiment expressed in this thread which I COMPLETELY identify with...

There's a lot of us out there who are basically begging forum/community software companies to help us keep our content in our hands, rather than handing it over to facebook, google, or twitter.

I don't want to be antagonistic towards anybody here, quite the opposite, but saying "twitter is not a forum" is missing a large part of the point. A forum COULD replace much of the need for twitter for many of our users under certain circumstances.

VB has already figured out vast swaths of the hard part of that equation.... we just need the last mile to be completed in certain areas of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by markavatar View Post
        There's a lot of us out there who are basically begging forum/community software companies to help us keep our content in our hands, rather than handing it over to facebook, google, or twitter.
        Thank you for your response. Likewise, I don't like having to put my content on Google and deploy the Google calendar. I've done it, but it doesn't work that well.

Facebook, Linkedin and Google + are really just big forums. You can put pictures up, have discussions, post comments, even now put ads on twitter. All stuff you can do on a forum. If a forum software company is to be successful it needs to help it's customers keep their content. Otherwise it will fail because you can do everything on social media if you want to.

As for our calendar....now a google calendar on our site...we have no difficulty getting content for that. The problem is it now has to be put up by the admins if we are not just to send people off to google.

Comment

just my experience... my community Facebook account was forced to be migrated to a FB page

As a result, I have lost 6 years of data including calendar.

I WANT to manage my content on MY site and not relay on the good willing of a third party that decides to erase me when they want.

So again calendar in VB5 please !

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1 View Post
            just my experience... my community Facebook account was forced to be migrated to a FB page

As a result, I have lost 6 years of data including calendar.

I WANT to manage my content on MY site and not relay on the good willing of a third party that decides to erase me when they want.

So again calendar in VB5 please !
            Thanks for the comment; that's the problem isn't it? If it's on somebody else's domain it's not your content any more is it? Whether that's Facebook, Google or any other domain you don't control. In the end if you put content on somebody else's site they can take it off you.

Comment

Currently under stalled development.

Click image for larger version

Name:	calendar-widget1.png
Views:	6
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	4325420

Comment

• jdj
                jdj commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that...stalled development by you or stalled development by vbulletin?

• Replicant
                Replicant commented
                Editing a comment
                Stalled development by me, VB5 doesn't have a calendar and they have made it pretty clear they have no intentions adding it.

• jdj
                jdj commented
                Editing a comment
                Shame it's stalled. Even my yoga teacher's website has a timetable on it run by a module that appears to not be run by Google calendar (it appears to be built in Drupal, so I'm guessing there's a calendar module available in Drupal).
                Last edited by jdj; Wed 22nd Jul '15, 8:34am.

Running 'Real life' community events using VB5 as the platform, as I do. I badly need to have a calendar system. I'm looking at even hiring a coder to create one for me. I voted for this feature so please listen to those running ACTUAL communities, and understand how important these types of features are to us.

Yes, PM me if you want to take this on.

Comment

• jdj
                jdj commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the comment. Coincidentally one of my 'bugs' that I have to try and fix this week is the google calendar inside my vB5 installation. The need hasn't gone away for us.

Just had somebody email me via our contact system because they want to put an event up on the calendar on our site. This kind of thing really frustrates me because historically they could just register and do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                If people haven't already voted for this, please do so:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-1247

These things ARE taken into consideration...
                Pleased to hear it. I liked Wayne Luke's description of how it should be implemented in the tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post

Pleased to hear it. I liked Wayne Luke's description of how it should be implemented in the tracker.
                  Does anybody have any idea at all over how long this might take. When could it be done?

Comment

The new events function is out I'm pleased to see. Hoping it's better than the calendar.

If anybody wants to hijack my thread to point at discussion of the new events feature please feel free.

So far I've only found this on page 7 of the vB 5.2.6 release discussion thread which tells you how to put up a bespoke page for events.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ase-here/page7

Comment

5.3.0 will include a Calendar page to showcase events. 5.3.0 will also include a new Date Picker component that uses native controls on Android and iOS devices.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• jdj
                        jdj commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for that...sounds good :-)

• Sylv1
                        Sylv1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        super
                        thanks