Overhaul the Search Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhaul the Search Feature

Make the Search feature more easy to use.

When you make Usergroups, someone should be able to easily find that group and request to join it by doing a Search and being provided with a list of options that are exactly and similar to what they're looking for.

Take Facebook for example, when you type something into the Search box, it provides you with instant suggestions for what your looking for. But that's not necessarily what I'm looking for, I'm looking for something that provides results when you click the search button. It should provide a list of groups that may be similar to the search your looking for, photos, users, threads and/or posts. Instead of going all out and doing an advanced search, add options to the actual search result where they're easy to choose the different options and find what your looking for.

vBulletin and Forums need to become more advanced, and the Search feature is where things need to change right now to make the site easier to access. Make it easier for a new person who never used a forum before to familiarize with the site in ways that they may use social media such as Facebook and Twitter. People are more likely to be familiar with a social media website than a forum today. And if we make forums more like today's social media when using the site, I think it will make the forums thrive and grow better.

You'd need to put this suggestion into jira, if you want to see it at some point.

Suggested searches can be very resource intensive though.

Comment

Do you mean Groups as in the Group tab above? Usergroups are something you create in the AdminCP and are completely different functionality used for assigning permissions.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Do you mean Groups as in the Group tab above? Usergroups are something you create in the AdminCP and are completely different functionality used for assigning permissions.
        No. I'm not talking about Groups. I'm talking about the Search box/feature. The thing you use to search for things on the site. I think it needs overhauled. Its outdated. It doesn't do as good as job as todays search features do on other sites. It shows up with stuff that's similar to your search term and sometimes not even close to what you search for. I think it should have the ability to search for things automatically like google and facebook search, allowing you to have instant results that match what your looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by RoG Viper RV View Post

No. I'm not talking about Groups. I'm talking about the Search box/feature. The thing you use to search for things on the site. I think it needs overhauled. Its outdated. It doesn't do as good as job as todays search features do on other sites. It shows up with stuff that's similar to your search term and sometimes not even close to what you search for. I think it should have the ability to search for things automatically like google and facebook search, allowing you to have instant results that match what your looking for.
          The issue with those "live results" that Google etc do, is that producing them is highly server intensive.
          Many people's sites are not running on high spec dedicated servers.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by RoG Viper RV View Post

This isn't what your opening post mentioned.

When you make Usergroups, someone should be able to easily find that group and request to join it by doing a Search and being provided with a list of options that are exactly and similar to what they're looking for.
            Inline search, Automatic Search, etc... That is just icing and can actually probably be done with the the current API. All searches are just JSON. AS stated though, they can be very server intensive.

I am not sure what you're searching for or what keywords but I find my searches in vBulletin 5 to be more accurate than previous versions.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X