Member list: Improvements on design/usability and features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member list: Improvements on design/usability and features

I have recently taken a look at the member list. First of all: Yes, it is good that the member list is back in vB5! However, I think it doesn't look that well (sorry, personal opinion ) and, more important, it lacks a lot of features, which could be important for many people. Therefore I am coming up with the following suggestions, which cover both design/usability and features. As always, feedback is much apprechiated.

Note:
    If you just want to see a comparison between the 'old' and the 'new' member list (without all those red numbers), have a look at the screenshots in the next post.

Suggestions:

1.) Make member list bar stuck at the top of the screen
    Currently the member list bar is not stuck at the top of the screen when scrolling down. The bar should behave the same like it does when scrolling in topics, forums etc. (stuck at the top).

2.) Add advanced pagination
    The member list bar should get advanced pagination. I already suggested this in another JIRA entry (regarding the floating bar) and this member list bar should have the same possibilities to navigate. From left to right (only new buttons mentioned):
    - Go to first page
    - The pagination itself (1..2..3..4..26)
    - Go to last page
    - To top button

3.) Allow to search for users
    There should be a possibility to search for users in the member list bar.

4.) Add filter tabs
    Currently the member list only shows all members. There should be a way to filter, e.g. moderators only, administrators only etc. My suggestion is to do this by using tabs. It would be great to let the admin of a forum decide (option needs to be added in the AdminCP), which tabs show up here. The admin should be able to add tabs based on existing usergroups (see 4a in the screenshot).

5.) Filter buttons should fit the vB5 design
    The general filter buttons based on letters should be added to the member list bar (not being above like it is currently done), so the user can also use them when scrolling down (this also requires the member list bar to be stuck at the top of the screen, see 1). Design-wise the buttons should fit the vB5 design (currently they look a little provisionally).

6.) Allow to hide avatars
    By checking this box the avatars should disappear in the member list. This allowes to make every line a little smaller in height, which provides a better overview. Also, when the checkbox is clicked, the text should change to "Show avatars" so that avatars reappear when this box is being unchecked again.

7.) Add more information
    The member list should show more information that one usually wants to see when going to a member list. In my opinion this is:
    - Location (if the user has added this in the profile). This also adds the feature to sort by location.
    - Likes received. Since vB5 has this feature, there should be a place to show how many likes one has received in comparison to others. The member list is a perfect place for this. This should also be sortable of course.
    - Posting. This should bring up the latest posts of the user. This link could open a search page.

8.) Make Date format/Send PM smaller in size
    - Join Date. Showing the month and year should be enough information here.
    - Last Visit (see 8a in the screenshot). This should also include the day (as a number). The name of the day (e.g. Monday) is not needed.
    - Send PM (see 8b in the screenshot). Less space is required if the text says 'Send PM' insterad of 'Send Private Message'.

JIRA: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-11082
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TLMD; Fri 23 Aug '13, 5:04am.

This is just a comparison between the current member list and the one I suggested above. Without all those red numbers this may provide a better overview.

'Old' member list:

'New' member list:

Attached Files
    Last edited by TLMD; Fri 23 Aug '13, 4:36am.

Comment

Your suggested bar will break on small screens. It is very crowded and has too many controls. That is why the filter bar is above the tool bar in the default If the limitations of it having to work in a 350 pixel wide environment are resolved your suggestions are good.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Memberlist should also implement the browser history hackathon project that I did in other pages so that pagination, sorting, filtering and all that stuff will update the URL without triggering page refresh. This way, we can link/bookmark to a particular page, sort, filter, etc.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          Your suggested bar will break on small screens.
          That is something I forgot to keep in mind. Well, with 2 little changes this might work:
          1. Getting rid of the reputation bar frees up some space. Actually the reputation bar is the most useless information in this list, especially when 'Likes received' is being added.
          2. The filter bar gets back above the member list bar. Then the filter bar might not be stuck at the top of the screen when scrolling down, but I think this loss can't be avoided.

This would result in the following look:

Attached Files

Comment

Currently, the Filter letters turn into a dropdown when the screen width is ~767px or less. So that frees up some space. But the pagination could grow big because Memberlist has total of 39,849 pages.

See screenshot of the Memberlist page with my userscript extension that adds the real pagination:

Attached Files

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Maybe one could limit the displayed page buttons to only two at the beginning (1...2...) and two at the end (39,848...39,849)? Then this doesn't need too much space.

Comment

Point 3 is certainly vital...ability to search for members.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Ability to link/bookmark to a particular page, sort, filter is vital too as well as being able to navigate with the browser's Back/Forward buttons.

Comment

I like the option to view different staff groups, it would be a nice feature.

ScreenShottr - Open Source Screen Capture Tool (Just pin to your taskbar)

Comment

You should probably explain what you mean by that.
                      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

To me, the ability to hide certain users (ie. test users, banned users) is critical. The current member list not only shows banned members but a link to send them a PM.

Comment