Bring back the old school pagination.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the old school pagination.

Whoever approved the top pagination made a terrible decision. The pagination up top should be like vB3 & vB4.
    If I want to jump to page 4 I want to click page 4 and not having to input page 4 to go to it. I know I can simply scroll all the way down and go to page 4 but it's stupid, If I know I read page 1 and 3, I don't want to scroll down to get to where I need to go.
    So far the vB5 architecture has not impressed me at all.

We should be moving forward, not 10 years backwards.

The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Originally posted by IcEWoLF View Post
    Whoever approved the top pagination made a terrible decision. The pagination up top should be like vB3 & vB4.
    If I want to jump to page 4 I want to click page 4 and not having to input page 4 to go to it. I know I can simply scroll all the way down and go to page 4 but it's stupid, If I know I read page 1 and 3, I don't want to scroll down to get to where I need to go.

Surely the floating bar is the place designed for pagination? One shouldn't need pagination at the bottom if the floating bar is always present.
    But yes, the pagination within the floating bar should go back to the old method but not necessarily the old style...

Comment

Originally posted by IcEWoLF View Post

What the? I thought that floating pagination is incomplete (just like so many things vB5)?
      Are you saying that is what vB5 pagination suppose to look like?
      That's ugly as hell, not to mention the imbalance; the floating bar size is smaller than the post box on the right side.

Comment

It sticks to the top as you scroll down though. So technically, it should always be visible.

Comment

Navigation is a very important part of a forum. I like the idea behind the floating bar in vB5, however, it really needs additional improvements!
          • A to-the-top button.
          • First/last page buttons.
          • Pagination.
          • A go-to-first-unread-post button.

I know there is work being done on this, but I hope these basic "features" don't take too long to come back to vB, because good navigating makes browsing a forum a lot easier (while bad navigating keeps people away).

Comment

There is already a go to first unread post button, which makes no sense..... By clicking on a post that you've already read, it should take you to the last unread post. Just like it's done for the past 10+ years. Why have removed this basic function and changed it to a small up arrow in front of the post text is very confusing, a waste of time and just shows you how disconnected vB is
            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

The small arrow in front of a post has alsways been there (also in vB4 and vB3) and it is very useful if you want to continue reading a topic, beginning with the "first unread post".

What you are talking about is "go to last post" maybe? This has been available in vB4 (displayed on the very right where you can see the name of the last poster) and it is planned that it will come back with vB 5.0.5 I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rudedog1968 View Post
                By clicking on a post that you've already read, it should take you to the last unread post. Just like it's done for the past 10+ years
                What do you mean by "clicking on a post that you've already read" ? Clicking on it how and/or where ? There has never been a feature I can think of where clicking on a link to an old post would instead direct you to an entirely different newer post, that would be very annoying.
                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

It would help a lot if the fields where only numbers are allowed would be set as such that way tablet and phone users don't have to switch between letters and numbers.

Comment

"go to top", pagination, and "home" should all be located in the floating bar. is this software going to rule the world....or not? no....you dont have to do it now.....please, just get the promised features working. this delay is costing me money. make it work first, then you can work on making it shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                      What do you mean by "clicking on a post that you've already read" ? Clicking on it how and/or where ? There has never been a feature I can think of where clicking on a link to an old post would instead direct you to an entirely different newer post, that would be very annoying.
                      It sounds like it is done in XF, where if you click on a title of a (partially read) thread, it brings you to the last unread post. Only if the complete thread has been read or you click on the date of the thread (on the forums overview), it brings you to the initial post.

Comment

and what if you want to read a thread from the beginning, and not from the last unread post....and dont already know that? why dont you post that on their site? i'm sure they would love to hear from you! since at least in vB2x, there has always been an arrow to take you to the last post....its location was on the right hand side near the name of the last member to post in that thread. going to the last unread post is a better idea, because that is different for each member. anyone interested in the topic presented has one of two options he/she is interested in.....reading the entire thread, or reading the portion of the thread he/she hasnt already read.....period. why is this a point of argument? this should be the baseline of the software. again....if vB wants to add bells and whistles. they can do that after everything works initially....and they have nothing better to do.

Comment

"Go to first unread post" is already there, "go to last post" will come with vB 5.0.5, if I read the tracker correctly. All the other features should follow soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                            Sorry Paul, you're correct. I got mixed up with another forums software. With vB I would always click the last page number and be taken to the actual last page. Clicking the thread link would take you to the first page of the post even if you had read most/all of the posts in said thread
                            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment