Upgrading vB4 to 5. What happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading vB4 to 5. What happens?

Going to upgrade my vBulletin 4.2.5 to newly purchased vB connect 5.6.4 and am wondering what to expect:

1. Will all my Categories/Forums/sub-Forums from vB4 migrate and be there?
    2. Will my Pages and Navigation Bar migrate over and be there?
    3. Will my Calendar be there?
    4. Will the Terms of Service, FAQs, Registration, Copyright texts that I have customized along with Question and Answer Verifications from vB4 carry over or will I have to recreate that all over again?
    5. Will all the settings I have on my old forum carry over to the appropriate settings on vB5?

I've been looking forward to doing this upgrade, but have been very apprehensive as to what to expect. I don't want this to break my board. I appreciate any input anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend you create a copy of your vBulletin 4.2.5 database and upgrade it before upgrading your live database.

That will answer all of your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
      I'd recommend you create a copy of your vBulletin 4.2.5 database and upgrade it before upgrading your live database.

That will answer all of your questions.
      Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to do that. I can tweak settings, but installations are beyond my skill level. I am asking not only for myself, but for all the others that are on the fence doing an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by moemoney View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to do that. I can tweak settings, but installations are beyond my skill level. I am asking not only for myself, but for all the others that are on the fence doing an upgrade.
        There is a tutorial for how to create a backup database and a test database in these forums but I see you've also inquired about professional installation. One plus with that is one of the support staff can view your forums and see precisely what is involved. Given that I'll let them answer in your other thread rather than leading (or misleading you) here.

I would recommend that you copy and save any custom code as a matter of good practice whether you perform the upgrade yourself or have vBulletin do it for you.

For example, I keep copies of my Terms, Policies, Statements, Guidelines, Announcements and Notices, etc. using Notepad++. It's free and keeps the proper formatting for all types of code.

Comment

1. This will be migrated. Nothing should change with forums.

2. Custom Pages will not be imported. vBulletin 4 didn't actually support custom pages. The Custom Page system in vBulletin 5 is completely new. The caveat is that if you added this information as articles in the vB4 CMS, then it would be imported as Articles are migrated.

3. No. Old calendar information is not imported. In vBulletin 5, events are topics within channels (i.e. forums) with all the features that allows including attachments, replies, comments, reputation, etc... The Calendar is just a search view that shows this content.

4. Same as #2. If this content was entered in as articles, it will be imported. If it added via some custom method it will not be migrated. Question and Answer should migrate as this functionality hasn't really changed.

5. All settings in the AdminCP carry over and will still work if they are currently valid. Their locations may be different and a number of options were removed. Any options added by third-party code will be deleted.

The instructions to add a test installation are here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade_testsite
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            1. This will be migrated. Nothing should change with forums.

2. Custom Pages will not be imported. vBulletin 4 didn't actually support custom pages. The Custom Page system in vBulletin 5 is completely new. The caveat is that if you added this information as articles in the vB4 CMS, then it would be imported as Articles are migrated.

3. No. Old calendar information is not imported. In vBulletin 5, events are topics within channels (i.e. forums) with all the features that allows including attachments, replies, comments, reputation, etc... The Calendar is just a search view that shows this content.

4. Same as #2. If this content was entered in as articles, it will be imported. If it added via some custom method it will not be migrated. Question and Answer should migrate as this functionality hasn't really changed.

5. All settings in the AdminCP carry over and will still work if they are currently valid. Their locations may be different and a number of options were removed. Any options added by third-party code will be deleted.

The instructions to add a test installation are here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade_testsite
            Thank you for the info! Looking forward to the new (for me) platform.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X