Preparing for a 3.7.1 to 5.6.x upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for a 3.7.1 to 5.6.x upgrade

I'm working on upgrading cb7tuner.com from 3.7.1 to the latest stable release of vbulletin. It's been about 10 years since I've messed with the forum software so I'm essentially doing this as a newbie.

I know the database needs to be backed up and converted. I've got a friend doing that as long as I can figure out how to do that via SSH.

Before the DB backup, the forum will need to go offline. Pull the db backup, backup the rest of the site, and then I'll need to update PHP and other backend services.

Can I go from 3.7 to 5.6 or do I need to use 4.x as an intermediary?

Any other suggestions to make sure this goes smoothly ?

Thanks!

The upgrader will take you from vBulletin 3.7.1 to 5.6.3 and convert your database along the way. We recommend that you upgrade to 4.2.5 first so that you can create a database backup at that point. vBulletin 5 has a drastically different database structure than earlier versions of the software. The majority of these changes occur in the 5.0.0. Alpha Steps. This is also when it imports and converts your older data. Having a 4.2.5 backup can reduce time restarting if something goes sideways.

If you follow this, then the upgrade is a multi-step process but it is ultimately a better experience.
    1. Upgrade the server to PHP 7.1.
    2. Upgrade to vBulletin 4.2.5
    3. Create a database backup.
    4. Upgrade the server to PHP 7.2+
    5. Upgrade to vBulletin 5.6.3.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Having purchased a vb5 license, do I also get a vb4 license or do I need to also purchase that?

Comment

If you upgraded your vBulletin 3.X license, you will have access to vBulletin 4 in the member's area.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I'm just uploading the 5.6.3 upload folder and saw this:

If you are upgrading from a legacy version of vBulletin, it is required that you put the vBulletin 5 files in a new directory. to delete all previous vBulletin files from the server before uploading the vBulletin 5 Connect files. Special care should be used to maintain the directories with user uploaded content like avatars and attachments. The directory structure and file layout in vBulletin 5 has changed dramatically and this will make sure there are no conflicts between files.

I updated the same way I updated to 4.2.5. What are the odds I'll have conflicts?

Comment

Issue number 2:

In the documentation: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=50603500

It says to go to http://www.yourdomain.com/pathtoforu...ll/upgrade.php.

However, it should be xx.com/pathtoforums/core/install/upgrade.php, shouldn't it"?

IfI go to /pathtoforums/core/install/upgrade.php, I get:

vBulletin 5 Configuration Builder

Please fill out the following fields to build your configuration data. This utility will auto-create a config.php file in the base directory and in your core/includes/ directory.
            If you require any advanced settings you must manually edit the config.php files yourself. See the install instructions for help.

Comment

If the files have been properly uploaded and the htaccess.txt file has been renamed .htaccess, as specified in the directions, then the two URLs are exactly the same. The first will be redirected to the /core/install directory. The only reason we have the redirect is because most people upgrading from vBulletin 3 and 4 are used to the old URL. When vBulletin 5 was released, there were a lot of complaints because the "install" folder wasn't included in the download. They can be used interchangeably.

If you get the configuration builder, then you haven't manually updated one or both of the config.php files. It will do that for you if it can write to the disk.

Originally posted by CB7tuner View Post
              I updated the same way I updated to 4.2.5. What are the odds I'll have conflicts?
              The odds of conflicts and broken URLs are 100% if you did not install vBulletin 5 into its own directory without any vBulletin 4 files.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                If the files have been properly uploaded and the htaccess.txt file has been renamed .htaccess, as specified in the directions, then the two URLs are exactly the same. The first will be redirected to the /core/install directory. The only reason we have the redirect is because most people upgrading from vBulletin 3 and 4 are used to the old URL. When vBulletin 5 was released, there were a lot of complaints because the "install" folder wasn't included in the download. They can be used interchangeably.

If you get the configuration builder, then you haven't manually updated one or both of the config.php files. It will do that for you if it can write to the disk.

The odds of conflicts and broken URLs are 100% if you did not install vBulletin 5 into its own directory without any vBulletin 4 files.
                Ok, so typically I would install into a sitename.com/vbb folder. That's what I did this time - oops.

Can I re-upload the 4.2.5 files to "go back?"

In order to proceed with version 5.6 I would just need to create a new folder "vbb5" and upload there, correct?

I will need to re-read the directions because I did not modify any files.

Comment

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...lletin-connect

I, for some reason, did not see any of the file modifications in https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=50603500

Comment

I am not sure why... They are all marked as public:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...efiles_windows
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/editconfig
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ion_config_php
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install_core_config_php

The only major difference from every single upgrade you have performed before is that vBulletin 5 needs to be uploaded into an empty directory. Opposed to uploading over the previous version. This only applies when upgrading from vBulletin 3 and 4 due to vBulletin being programmed in a completely different method.

1. After Purchasing, download vBulletin Connect from the your Member's Area.
                    2. Unzip the downloaded package on your local machine. Depending on your hosting provider and internet connection this can take some time.
                    3. In your vBulletin files there will be a directory called upload. Enter it.
                    4. Rename config.php.bkp to config.php (ren config.php.bkp config.php)
                    5. Enter the /upload/core/includes directory.
                    6. Rename config.php.new to config.php (ren config.php.new config.php)
                    7. Edit config.php and change these values to match your information.
                      • $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'databasename';
                      • $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = '';
                      • $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
                      • $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost'; // may be referred to as a host name
                      • $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306;
                      • $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'username';
                      • $config['MasterServer']['password'] = 'password';
                      • Make sure that all values are to the right of the equal sign (=) and between the single quotes ('). If you do not know these values they can be obtained from your hosting provider.
                      • No other values need to be changed in this file for a basic installation of vBulletin Connect.
                    8. Using your SFTP Client, upload the contents of the upload directory (including all sub-directories and files) to your server. Place these files in the directory where you want to install vBulletin. If upgrading from vBulletin 3 or 4, this directory should be empty.
                    9. If you store file attachments and custom avatars in the file system (both recommended), then you will need to copy these to your new directory as well.
                    10. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess (the leading period is required). If you are using Filezilla, you can do this by right-clicking on the file and choosing rename on the context menu. This can also be done from the Windows Command Line before uploading the files to the server.
                    11. Load the Upgrade Wizard in your browser. The URL should be https://%yourdomain%/%forumroot%/install/upgrade.php
                    12. The Upgrade Wizard will ask for your Customer ID. This can be found in your Member's Area after logging in.
                    13. Process all the steps in the Wizard. Some steps make take a long time.
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 5 Oct '20, 1:11pm.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

So, in the case of the 3.7 to 4.2 update, I overwrote the contents of vbb. After that I tried updating to 5.6 by overwriting the contents of vbb again (wrong, I know). If I want to revert back to 4.2, can I just re-upload the vbulletin contents of the "upload" folder and re-upgrade it?

In regards to the 5.6 update:

I've been on:
                      • Processed records 1955675 - 1961673

for about 45 minutes now. Assuming this has failed, do I just go back to /upgrade.php and run it again? I'll have to read up on failures - haven't done that yet.

when I hit "query status" I get "no process found". I think it's dead at this point but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Are you running in a web browser? If so refreshing the page should allow it to continue. Your web server may block too many requests automatically. If you have SSH access, you can run the upgrader from the command line and get moderately better performance.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment