No announcement yet.

3.6.8 -> 5.6.2 upgrade issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, no need to answer that one, something got messed up in the db cache data after reimporting the backup sql file and starting again after an other upgrade error.
    What's brewing in Poland? Find out on www.Browar.biz (in Polish)
    PL: Modyfikacje vB: www.pub.net.pl

Comment

After trying numerous retries, the upgrader has problems with creating new tables. Actually none of those as from upgrade step 2 (starting point is vb 3.6.8) get created.
      Default storage type is Innodb, mysql version is: 10.2.33-MariaDB

vb_userchangelog
      vb_forumprefix
      vb_socialgroup
      vb_socialgroupmember
      vb_socialgrouppicture
      vb_prefix
      vb_prefixset
      vb_notice
      vb_noticecriteria
      vb_postlog
      vb_spamlog
      vb_bookmarksite
      vb_tag
      vb_tagthread
      vb_tagsearch
      vb_postedithistory
      vb_usercss
      vb_usercsscache
      vb_paymentapi
      vb_tachyforumcounter
      vb_tachythreadcounter
      vb_profilevisitor
      vb_visitormessage
      vb_visitormessage_hash
      vb_groupmessage
      vb_groupmessage_hash
      vb_album
      vb_albumpicture
      vb_picture
      vb_humanverify
      vb_hvanswer
      vb_hvquestion

I am starting losing my mind with this. The first time I made the test upgrade all went absolutely smooth. Made copy of data from live site, moved to new server, run the upgrader script, delete some duplicate keys on the way, and that was it. While doing that I made notices of the steps I was performing to make the real move to a new server and doing the upgrade as fast as possible.

Now I am stuck with those errors and can't move on.

What can be the issue?
      Some priviliges problem?

Comment

Does your database user have all permissions except "Grant" on the database? That should give it all the permissions it needs to operate provided that MySQL has the proper permissions with the operating system and file system.

Though there is a bug with your database version in the MariaDB JIRA - https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-19849

According to that bug, your server is returning a "Path not found" error from the operating system level and cannot create the files for the tables. You might want to check the innodb logs to verify. Seems to have a fix in newer versions of MariaDB. I don't know if the fix is to clarify the error or to resolve the underlying path not found issue. You will most likely need to discuss this issue with your hosting provider or server administrator.

It seems like it skipped upgrade steps between 3.6.8 to 3.7.0 (why?)
        Installation steps that do nothing but upgrade the template version in the database are routinely removed. These steps simply add time to upgrades without providing any benefit to the outcome. 3.6.9 is such a step since it only provided bug fixes and no updates to the database itself.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The weird thing is that although the tables are not showing in phpmyadmin and are not seen by the upgrade script I am finding files associated with those tables in the mysql data folder /var/lib/mysql/dbName/

Comment

If files with those names exist then that could be why they can't actually be created. A database consists of files on the disk and entries in the information_schema database within MySQL. If an error is returned from the OS about the files, then the entries in information_schema won't be created.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne, I am so glad I found it.

After those test upgrades and table deletes the two INNODB files holding the log and other data got somehow corrupted.
              Since I had no other INNODB tables residing in the DB, stopped mysql deleted those files and restarted mysql.

Now the upgrade process is going on the way I expected. The new tables get normally created.
              I am just very unhappy for losing 2 days for this

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Does your database user have all permissions except "Grant" on the database? That should give it all the permissions it needs to operate provided that MySQL has the proper permissions with the operating system and file system.

Though there is a bug with your database version in the MariaDB JIRA - https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-19849

According to that bug, your server is returning a "Path not found" error from the operating system level and cannot create the files for the tables. You might want to check the innodb logs to verify. Seems to have a fix in newer versions of MariaDB. I don't know if the fix is to clarify the error or to resolve the underlying path not found issue. You will most likely need to discuss this issue with your hosting provider or server administrator.
                Thanks, did not stumble on that bug report earlier. I think in my situation the thing was an out of RAM related issue - there was the 7gb test upgrade residing in second database, which i removed and then the issue did not come back again.

Comment

The avatar URL is incorrect for one location and not the other. What do you have entered there and what is the path of the custom avatar directory in relation to the public_html directory?
                  I'd like to get back to the avatars question - they reside in /core/customavatars

what should be the avatarurl and avatarpath settings?

i see the avatars in admincp

made maintenance step with updating avatars but nothing changed
                  when I try to upload the avatar via admin cp/edit user - the avatar shows up in the forums then.

the customavatars and thumbs folder has 0777 permissions

open_basedir setting in PHP.ini is not set.

Comment

The forum move and upgrade process went fine this time, I still have the avatar problem.

I would also like to know how to handle old vb3 redirects to new forum in this case:

when upgraded to vb5 all its data first resided in the /forum/ directory which led to ugly
                    /forum/forum/topicurlblahblah links.
                    but old
                    www.domain.name/forum/showthread.php?t=100348
                    got redirected right to the new format.

I decided to move vb out to the basedirectory /
                    got nice topic urls without the unfortunate forum/forum in the url.
                    now the old redirects does not function (no surprise)

so when I enter in the browser:
                    www.domain.biz/forum/showthread.php?t=100348
                    I get the Invalid Page URL error.

what rule should I put in the htaccess code to make the
                    domain.name/forum/showthread.php?t=xxxx
                    get passed to the vb5 rewrite engine right?

Comment

I don't have the exact code in front of me but you need to redirect /forum/*.php{query_string} to /*.php{query_string}. You may be able to use mod_alias and RedirectMatch for this purpose.

You don't want to redirect everything /forum/ because this is a valid path in vB5 and will create a redirect loop.
                      You don't want to create a directory at /forum/ because this will break vBulletin 5.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Will try that.

Comment

I don't have the exact code in front of me but you need to redirect /forum/*.php{query_string} to /*.php{query_string}. You may be able to use mod_alias and RedirectMatch for this purpose.
                          I have come up with something like this:
                          RewriteRule ^forum/(.*)\.php(.*) $1.php$2 [R=301,NC,L]

which is not elegant, but working.

Comment