VBulletin 5.6.1 upgrade not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin 5.6.1 upgrade not starting

I have been on vbulletin 3.8.11 for about 10 years and thought it time to upgrade. I have upgraded v 3.8.x over the years so it's not the first time I have done a vbulletin install, but I am obviously far from an expert. Steps I have done so far are:

1. I have created a subdomain for testing, which works with a database copy I created. I could see my old vbulletin install at the subdomain url (ipbtest.mydomain.com as opposed to my main url with is like www.mydomain.com (not the real url *obviously*)). I wanted to upgrade on this subdomain before my main domain.
    2. I purchased vbulletin 5 licence and downloaded the latest version 5.6.1 patch level 1.
    3. I renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess
    4.I renamed /config.php.bkp to /config.php
    5. I renamed /core/includes/config.php.new to /core/includes/config.php
    6. I made the edits to the relevant details in /core/includes/config.php file
    7. I uploaded the files in the upload folder to the server
    8. I first tried the php -f upgrade.php command from the core/install directory (my forum has 1.1m posts), and nothing happened. No error, just a new line in my putty shell like I had entered no command.
    9. Then I tried ipbtest.mydomain.com/install/upgrade.php in my browser, and get: This page isn’t working

ipbtest.mydomain.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

I double checked everything, retried all the steps again, checked file permissions, folder owners, etc and can see nothing obvious to me. I tried adding /core to the browser address just in case even though I knew that wasn't necessary. Obviously didn't help. I even tried shutting my main live forum, renaming that directory and named the new directory the same as my forum to see if that would prompt me for the customer number at least to see if it was a problem with my subdomain, but I get the same problem.

My vB3.8.11 forum runs PHP 5.6 (which I would upgrade to 7.3 after install), but this meets the minimum requirements set out in the readme, even if not ideal. Is this anything to do with it? I have mysql 5.7 also.

Any suggestions welcome.

You must upgrade to PHP 7.2 before vBulletin 5.6.1 will upgrade. This is the minimum required version. It will not work on PHP 5.6.0 which hasn't been supported for over two years now.

I will have the vB5Readme.html updated to point to the more up to date System Requirements topic here on the forums.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 14 May '20, 9:11am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

ok thanks.for the quick response. I hoped I was ok when the minimum requirements stated PHP5.6, but that's obviously not correct, This clears it up though, appreciate the help.

Comment

I am going through the same process 3.8.11 -> 5.6.1. 3.8.11 is running the max version of PHP that it supports which is 7.1.33. Since 3.8.11 does not support PHP 7.2 and you can't upgrade to 5.6.1 without running 7.2, is there a way to force 3.8.11 to use PHP 7.1.33 even though the server is running at 7.2 to enable the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by galey801 View Post
          I am going through the same process 3.8.11 -> 5.6.1. 3.8.11 is running the max version of PHP that it supports which is 7.1.33. Since 3.8.11 does not support PHP 7.2 and you can't upgrade to 5.6.1 without running 7.2, is there a way to force 3.8.11 to use PHP 7.1.33 even though the server is running at 7.2 to enable the upgrade?
          This is more about the upgrade testing which I am doing on a copy of the live dB but both the live and the test sites are running on the same SQL and Web servers so the PHP version applies to both the live and test sites.

Comment

Originally posted by galey801 View Post
            You can run different versions of PHP in each directory using a handler. Talk to your hosting provider for information about how to configure this. With Apache 2.4.X, it usually just needs a couple of lines in an .htaccess file.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi, I have upgraded to VBulletin 5.6.1 after upgrading my php version and using php 7.3 and I have a couple of problems:

1. When I go to my forum home page first it appears the style sheets are broken as I just see a list of text links and so on. If I click the 'Style' link though, this fixes it to the default vbulletin style.
              2. When I try to access my admincp I can't log in. I have deleted the install directory after upgrade, and can see the login prompt. When I enter my password it does nothing. When I go to my forum (which is still turned off) I can see the front page, and I am logged in as my admin user there, and can view my profile, etc but any time I'm prompted to enter a password there too, such as performing actions in the header with the edit site switch toggled on, I keep getting prompted for my password after entering it. If I enter a wrong password it tells me the password is incorrect so it is validating it, but I still can't access anything by logging in. All threads and posts are there, so the db is fine. I can edit and make new posts.
              3. If I try to view the site in incognito mode, then every time I get the following error:
              A System Error has occured.

The software is experiencing a systems error.

You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I'm not sure what I should do next, the site is not usable until I can access admincp at least. I upgraded using the command line which hung at a 5.5.4 upgrade step and then I got disconnected from my putty session. When I ran the upgrade command again it started from the same spot seemingly and finished in a minute or so. I didn't run the upgrade as the root user, I used it as the user I would use to upload files via ftp. Could this be the problem?

Edit: I'm guessing some it it, point 3 at least, is related to the old styles I had installed in my vb3 setup. If I got into admincp I could delete those though!
              Last edited by 5starpool; Tue 19 May '20, 5:58am.

Comment

1. See: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...40#post4391640

2. Generally means the user doesn't have AdminCP privileges or you're using a domain different that the specified domain for the forum URL.

3. Need to put the site into debug mode to see what the actual error is.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks.

I have this installed on a test install (subdomain of main domain) also and it seems to work fine there despite the fact that it is the same files with just the config.php database parameters different between them.

For point 2,I was able to access admincp via incognito mode, but couldn't on normal mode for some reason.

For point 3 I put the site into debug mode and got the following erro, which means very little to me unfortunately:

Error :API Error
                  Controller: user
                  Method: checkPrivacyOption
                  Error(s):

array ( 0 => array ( 0 => '<p> Upgrading</p> <p> Back at some point! </p>', ), 1 => array ( 0 => 'exception_trace', 1 => '## /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/core/vb/api.php(644) Exception Thrown #0 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/core/vb/api/wrapper.php(188): vB_Api->checkApiState(\'checkPrivacyOpt...\') #1 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php(105): vB_Api_Wrapper->__call(\'checkPrivacyOpt...\', Array) #2 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/runtime.php(1046): Api_Interface_Collapsed->callApi(\'user\', \'checkPrivacyOpt...\', Array, false, true) #3 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(392) : eval()\'d code(117): vB5_Template_Runtime:arseData(\'user\', \'checkPrivacyOpt...\', \'enable_privacy_...\') #4 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(392): eval() #5 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(134): vB5_Template->render(false) #6 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(414): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders(\'<!-- ##template...\') #7 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/applicationabstract.php(730): vB5_Template->render() #8 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/frontend/routing.php(190): vB5_ApplicationAbstract::showMsgPage(\'\', \'<p> Upgrading</...\', \'bbclosedreason\') #9 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/frontend/application.php(21): vB5_Frontend_Routing->setRoutes() #10 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/index.php(48): vB5_Frontend_Application::init(\'config.php\') #11 {main}', ), )
                  on line 1050 in /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/runtime.php
                  Step 0: showErrorPage() called on line 382 in /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/applicationabstract.php
                  Step 1: handleException() called
                  Exception API Error
                  Controller: user
                  Method: checkPrivacyOption
                  Error(s):

array ( 0 => array ( 0 => '<p> Upgrading</p> <p> Back at some point! </p>', ), 1 => array ( 0 => 'exception_trace', 1 => '## /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/core/vb/api.php(644) Exception Thrown #0 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/core/vb/api/wrapper.php(188): vB_Api->checkApiState(\'checkPrivacyOpt...\') #1 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php(105): vB_Api_Wrapper->__call(\'checkPrivacyOpt...\', Array) #2 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/runtime.php(1046): Api_Interface_Collapsed->callApi(\'user\', \'checkPrivacyOpt...\', Array, false, true) #3 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(392) : eval()\'d code(117): vB5_Template_Runtime:arseData(\'user\', \'checkPrivacyOpt...\', \'enable_privacy_...\') #4 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(392): eval() #5 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(134): vB5_Template->render(false) #6 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(414): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders(\'<!-- ##template...\') #7 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/applicationabstract.php(619): vB5_Template->render() #8 /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/applicationabstract.php(382): vB5_ApplicationAbstract::showErrorPage(Array, false) #9 [internal function]: vB5_ApplicationAbstract::handleException(Object(vB5_Exception_Api)) #10 {main}', ), )
                  on line 1050 in /home/irishpb/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/template/runtime.php

Comment

It seems to be pointing at the message I had put up when closing the site, but that knowledge doesn't help me.

Comment

It is a bug that was unfortunately introduced in 5.6.1. It is fixed in 5.6.2. It can be fixed by taking the contents (user.php) of the attached ZIP file and uploading it to /core/vb/api directory on your server.

Attached Files

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

delete.
                        Last edited by woytek; Wed 27 May '20, 2:49am.

Comment