Confused on upgrading from 4.2.5 to latest 5.6 version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on upgrading from 4.2.5 to latest 5.6 version

I'm not very clear on how to upgrade my vBulletin 4.2.5 to 5.6.

I have vbulletin 4.2.5 (call it live site) running with all my users, images, posts, etc on one server that has php5.6 running. I also have another test server that has vbulletin 5.6, its a fresh install with nothing in the database yet that has php7.3. Both are running perfectly.

I'm not quite sure on how to run the upgrade on my vBulletin 4.2.5 (php 5.6) since vBulletin 5.6 requires php7.

Thanks

I have exactly the same question. I have 4.25 on php5.6 and 5 on php7.3.
    Last edited by spiderweb; Wed 13th May '20, 4:45am.

Comment

Am I suppose to upgrade the php on my live site (vBulletin 4.2.5) to php 7.3 before installing vBulletin 5.6? Wont that break my bulletin 4.2.5 site? This is the part that is confusing!

Comment

My host added this to my .htaccess in the 4.25 root

<IfModule mime_module>
        AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php56 .php .php5 .phtml
        </IfModule>

Comment

What spiderweb posted would be the best solution. Most hosting solutions allow you to run different versions of PHP in different directories. You can contact your hosting provider to make sure they support this.

Otherwise, you would need to upgrade PHP to 7.1 so that 4.2.5 continues operating. Run your test installation up to 5.5.6 and stop. Once you have tested it and upgraded your live site to 5.5.6, you can upgrade PHP to 7.2 or higher and then upgrade to 5.6.X.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            What spiderweb posted would be the best solution. Most hosting solutions allow you to run different versions of PHP in different directories. You can contact your hosting provider to make sure they support this.

Otherwise, you would need to upgrade PHP to 7.1 so that 4.2.5 continues operating. Run your test installation up to 5.5.6 and stop. Once you have tested it and upgraded your live site to 5.5.6, you can upgrade PHP to 7.2 or higher and then upgrade to 5.6.X.
            Thanks Wayne. Would I have any issues if I just upgraded my php to 7.3 then upgrade to vBulletin 5.6.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Pierce View Post

Thanks Wayne. Would I have any issues if I just upgraded my php to 7.3 then upgrade to vBulletin 5.6.1?
              4.2.5 will not operate cleanly on PHP 7.3. If you no longer need to run vBulletin 4.2.5, then I would actually recommend upgrading to PHP 7.4. It will not go end of life until 2022.

The PHP Group made a lot of structural and variable handling changes in the 7.X series in order to encourage better and more secure code development as well as bring the language up to modern standards. These changes cause problems with vBulletin 3 and 4 because they were originally developed over a decade ago when things were a lot more chaotic. Hopefully these changes taper off after PHP 8 is released later this year so we won't have to be as aggressive in minimum version support in the future.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

4.2.5 will not operate cleanly on PHP 7.3. If you no longer need to run vBulletin 4.2.5, then I would actually recommend upgrading to PHP 7.4. It will not go end of life until 2022.

The PHP Group made a lot of structural and variable handling changes in the 7.X series in order to encourage better and more secure code development as well as bring the language up to modern standards. These changes cause problems with vBulletin 3 and 4 because they were originally developed over a decade ago when things were a lot more chaotic. Hopefully these changes taper off after PHP 8 is released later this year so we won't have to be as aggressive in minimum version support in the future.
                Thank you. I do not need to run vBulletin 4.2.5, I just need the db migrated/upgraded to vBulletin 5.6. With that being said, when I do upgrade to PHP 7.3 I assume I wont have any issues with my moving my database off 4.2.5 and on to my new vBulletin 5.6?

Comment

The database system is completely separate from what version of PHP you're using.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Upgrade worked seamlessly. For anyone that finds this thread heres what I did.

1. Stood up an empty AWS instance running LAMP (Php 7).
                    2. Imported my 4.2.5 database (only moved over the required directories, customavatar, customsignaturepics. Did not import any vb4 files)
                    3. Configured my config.php to the new database.
                    4. Uploaded VB5
                    5. Ran upgrade script.
                    6. Forum up and running with all my data.

Thanks for the help Wayne!

Comment