Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to upgrade

Okay so questions.

I bought the upgrade and have been messing around with a clean install but I need to migrate my board. Do I loose my mods on the clean install and have to start again?

How do I go about setting the password system to legacy meaning 4.25? I use a custom mysql auth apache mod that is set for 4.25.

You would lose all vBulletin 4.2.X customizations on upgrade. The code and database structure of vBulletin 5 is completely different.

Not sure why you would want to set the password security to Legacy. The vBulletin 4.X password storage scheme provides the bare minimum of password security. The schemes in vBulletin 5, are a lot stronger and secure. When you upgrade the password storage of all users will be set to "Legacy" automatically. This will allow them to log in the first time. Once they log in, the password will be stored in either bcrypt or argon2id formats. Which one depends on your server configuration. argon2id is considered one of the most secure password storage schemes there is.

I don't know what this is but if it involves custom code within vBulletin, then you will need to update and integrate that code into vBulletin 5's class system. However, I don't think the database classes are extendible since they are outside the API.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi Wayne

Got it on the style and mods.

The next issue is a bit different. We have a legacy site that uses Apache basic auth which relies on the vb user table , username, salt, password. We are getting ready to go to bcrypt but that is a ways off. I read before purchasing 5 that legacy auth was still available but it was unclear how to set it.

Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

You can set it as the dominant scheme in the /core/includes/xml/pwschemes_vbulletin.xml file. Simply give it a higher priority than other schemes in the file.

Wayne Luke

Comment

You rock!

Comment

Do I just put the number order or do I need to reorder the list?

Comment

You would have to change the priority in the file. The order of the rows doesn't matter. When the upgrade script is run, it will build the pwschemes datastore and the system should sort by priority.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks

Comment