Vbulletin 5.4.4 to 5.5.6 upgrade issue - start at 5.5.0 Alpha 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    If the page is loading like that, then check that mod_rewrite is enabled on the server, and that allow_override is set to 'All' (also a server setting).
    Hi Mark.B, sorry i am noobs. how to enable mod_rewrite in server? using .htaccess?

Comment

The error saying it can't write the CSS files and the Login Box are completely unrelated.

If the CSS files do not exist, the system will pull them from the database and try to write them again and again. The only way to allow the system to write the CSS files is if the directory is writable. Usually this means chmod 777. The default directory in storing the CSS files changed in vBulletin 5.5.6. They shouldn't be stored in the clientscript directory as this may be deleted in the near future as its code continues to get rewritten. It is legacy code left over from vBulletin 4. The new default is /cache/css. This is a more appropriate location and leads to a more secure vBulletin installation.

The login box is due to iframe security that was implemented in the 5.5.X series. Actually in 5.5.4, I believe. This prevents external people from overlaying your site on other sites and trying to hijack user names and passwords via phishing. Your server is preventing us from applying appropriate security settings. In 5.6.0, we have refactored logins to use AJAX form submissions and this allows us to remove the entire iframe without changing the user experience.

For an immediate workaround go to:

Settings -> Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options. Set "Allow All Framing" in the Anti Clickjacking Headers setting.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 24th Feb '20, 10:57am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        The error saying it can't write the CSS files and the Login Box are completely unrelated.

If the CSS files do not exist, the system will pull them from the database and try to write them again and again. The only way to allow the system to write the CSS files is if the directory is writable. Usually this means chmod 777. The default directory in storing the CSS files changed in vBulletin 5.5.6. They shouldn't be stored in the clientscript directory as this may be deleted in the near future as its code continues to get rewritten. It is legacy code left over from vBulletin 4. The new default is /cache/css. This is a more appropriate location and leads to a more secure vBulletin installation.

The login box is due to iframe security that was implemented in the 5.5.X series. Actually in 5.5.4, I believe. This prevents external people from overlaying your site on other sites and trying to hijack user names and passwords via phishing. Your server is preventing us from applying appropriate security settings. In 5.6.0, we have refactored logins to use AJAX form submissions and this allows us to remove the entire iframe without changing the user experience.

For an immediate workaround go to:

Settings -> Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options. Set "Allow All Framing" in the Anti Clickjacking Headers setting.
        Hi Luke, i resolved the login blank issue by forcing http to https using .htaccess. as for cache/css i logon to /admincp and change the css file location from clientscript/ to cache/css. Hope my steps is correct.

Comment

The directory still needs to writable by your webserver. This could be as little as 644 or it may need 777 permissions.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by holymannn View Post

Hi Mark.B, sorry i am noobs. how to enable mod_rewrite in server? using .htaccess?
            Putting this answer here for future reference. You cannot enable mod_rewrite within .htaccess. Apache Modules have to be initiated by the HTTPD Configuration files and loaded at run-time. Once loaded, you can utilize their capabilities within an .htaccess file.

Wayne Luke

Comment