Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving posts with comments

When I move a post, I notice three things:

1) the area at the bottom has a default http:// even though my forum is https: and set as such in settings

2) If the post to be moved has comments, and you click to move the comments alongside the post itself, the comments end up as separate individual posts, and do not move as comments attached to the moved post.
    I observed this with a move of a post to a specific thread URL. "Move Posts to Existing Topic"

1) It is default text that is hard coded. It has absolutely no relation to your forum's URL. It is like putting the word "Search" in the search box. It is a label and has no bearing on the result of the form.

2) The system is hierarchical. It relies on a system of parents and children. A post is a post. The only difference to a Topic Starter, Reply, and Comment is how they are displayed and who their parent is.
    • If you move a Reply post and it becomes a Topic Starter, then the Comments will become Replies.
    • If you move a Reply post and the Reply remains a reply, the comments will remain comments.
    • If you move a Topic Starter and it becomes a Reply, then its replies will become comments and any comments on the topic will not be displayed.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Well I moved a reply post, checked to move the post itself and checked to move the comments within the post, and the comments turned into separate posts.

i.e. a reply post with two comments, when moved, turned into three separate posts, each with a date corresponding to the date the post/comments were made. Also I noticed that when I clicked to move the post and checked the two comments within the post to move them, the "Move Posts" pop up referred to the moving of 3 posts.

Are you saying that I should not have checked the boxes next to the comments, and then they would have moved automatically along with the reply post and remained as comments?

Comment

Yes. That is what I am saying. Moving the parent will move the children. That is 100% the meaning of a hierarchical system. If you move a forum, all of its children move as well. Because a forum node has topics, replies, and comments as children.

When you select multiple nodes, we create an ARRAY and send those nodes to the move function. It doesn't know if they are forums, topic starters, replies, or comments. There is nothing stating this in the node record. The type of node is not relevant to moving it. The system just goes through the ARRAY and moves each node to the destination and updates their parentid record. Then it rebuilds the closure table as needed to make sure that the hierarchical chain is maintained. The only Nodes that shouldn't be moved are "Home Page", "Forums", "Articles", "Blogs", "Groups", and "Special".

I created this topic:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-02-11_10-22-11.png Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	4434215

Next, I selected Reply 1's inline moderation checkbox. And only that post. Then I selected "Move Posts" from the Inline Moderation menu. The next image is the result:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-02-11_10-22-43.png Views:	0 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	4434216

We could disable the selection of comments if their parent is selected. However, I am sure this will cause problems with a number of use cases.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 11th Feb '20, 9:34am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Well, when a post with comments is moved, the comments should remain...comments attached to the moved post and not become new posts of their own. When the moved comments become posts of their own they become nonsensical, especially if the comments were made on different dates and they end up plugged into a new thread with intervening existing posts. This is a bug.

Comment

A Topic Starter cannot have comments. It can only have replies.

Code:
            Topic Starter
            -- Reply 1
            -- Reply 2
            ---- Comment 1
            -- Reply 3
            -- Reply 4
            -- Reply 5
            ---- Comment 1
            ---- Comment 2
            If you move Reply2 to its own Topic, then Comment1 becomes Reply1. It is a reply to the topic starter. Comments could be made on each reply if desired.

If you move Reply2 into an existing Topic, it will become ReplyX and Comment 1 remains Comment 1.

If you move Comment 1 (by checking its box) into an existing topic, it will become ReplyX in that topic.

Wayne Luke

Comment

<<If you move Reply2 into an existing Topic, it will become ReplyX and Comment 1 remains Comment 1.>>

This is not what I experienced: moved a reply with 2 comments into an existing thread and the comments separated into posts of their own. This is why I say it's a bug. (When I moved I checked all three boxes, to move the post, and the two comments.)

Comment

Yes. You said you checked the boxes for the two comments right?

So you check the box for NodeX, NodeY, and NodeZ. The system says I need to move three nodes.
                1. The system moves NodeX with its comments (NodeY and NodeZ) into the new thread.
                2. Then it moves NodeY to the new thread. Since it is no longer attached to NodeX as a comment, it becomes a Reply.
                3. Then it moves NodeZ to the new thread. Since it is no longer attached to NodeX as a comment, it becomes a Reply.

The only thing that differentiates a Reply vs a Comment is the parent and how deep it is in the hierarchy. If you want children to stay with their parent, don't check their boxes. Just move the parent.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Okay that was a Q I had above, as to whether I should check all three boxes or not. Next time I need to move a reply with its comments I will move it and check only the reply (the post) itself to be moved.

Comment