Upgrade 4.2.4 to 5.5.5 => problem entering admincp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade 4.2.4 to 5.5.5 => problem entering admincp

After having failed with an upgrade to a mySQL-platform 5.7 I restarted the upgrade process of 4.2.4 to 5.5.5 - all scripts went right, but I cannot enter the admincp for restructuring the page further.

If I add "admin" and password I get a 500 error message - I think it is, because the login-page is expected at .../core/login.php but I get directed to .../login.php and there's no page in the default directory.

Plus the site looks "terrible" as I think I have to arrange some points in the admin-panel, which I cannot reach.

Do you have an idea how to get on?

Thank you and greetings from Germany
    Markus Stein

P.S. the "new" site is at http://neuforum.napoleon-online.de (I know, it doesn't look very nice); PHP 7.3 and mySQL 5.5 is settled

Now I tried to direct my original forum-URL (forum.napoleon-online.de) to the new folder ... I get the error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '?' in /homepages/1/d16368409/htdocs/forum_neu/core/vb/request.php on line 68

So I think it is a general problem - and hopefully you may help.

Thank you
    Markus Stein

P.S. I will redirect the URL to the old 4.2.4. installation

Comment

The screen of the admin-panel looks good, but after entering the admin-password I get the error message

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Comment

Did you delete the vBulletin 4.X files before uploading vBulletin 5.5.5? This is a critical step that prevents many errors when upgrading.

The /admincp directory should be completely empty. Is it?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi Wayne Luke,

I deleted all 4.x files except the folders "attachments" (in German anhang), "customavatars", "customprofilepics" and "signaturpics" ... and yes, the /admincp is empty.

But I found that the renamed .htaccess had only read-access - I changed it to 777 ... but no change to the forum behavior.

Greetings
          Markus Stein

Comment

The .htaccess file should not have permissions of 777. That creates a security risk because anyone can rewrite the file. It would not cause this error.

What does the Admin Login say if you put the site into debug mode?

Wayne Luke

Comment

O.K. thanks for the htaccess-hint - it is again at 404

I changed the two config files to the debug mode ... same faults - the login tries to get the address http://neuforum.napoleon-online.de/login.php?do=login ... and in the root directory there's no login.php, i.e. the core-statement is missing in the address.

And if I add the /core/ to the login-address I will be rerouted to the site Neuforum.napoleon-online.de

Sorry for the obviously complex fault ... greetings
              Markus Stein

P.S. if you go to http://neuforum.napoleon-online.de you'll find the debug results at the end of the page; the admincp-site has at the end:

SQL Queries (24) | $RCSfile$ - $Revision: 102983 $ | Explain

Memory Usage: 11.931 KiB

The link "Explain" cannot be opened
              Last edited by naponline; Fri 3rd Jan '20, 12:46pm.

Comment

Has the htaccess file been correctly renamed?

It must be:

.htaccess

Note the 'dot/period' at the start.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Yes it is .htaccess and therefore invisible

Comment

Originally posted by naponline View Post
                    O.K. thanks for the htaccess-hint - it is again at 404

I changed the two config files to the debug mode ... same faults - the login tries to get the address http://neuforum.napoleon-online.de/login.php?do=login ... and in the root directory there's no login.php, i.e. the core-statement is missing in the address.

And if I add the /core/ to the login-address I will be rerouted to the site Neuforum.napoleon-online.de

Sorry for the obviously complex fault ... greetings
                    Markus Stein

P.S. if you go to http://neuforum.napoleon-online.de you'll find the debug results at the end of the page; the admincp-site has at the end:

SQL Queries (24) | $RCSfile$ - $Revision: 102983 $ | Explain

Memory Usage: 11.931 KiB

The link "Explain" cannot be opened
                    Every single URL in vBulletin 5 is "virtual." They all get redirected to index.php which decides what to do with them. The URL does not need /core/ in it when viewed from the Address Bar.

Is there an error_log file in your vBulletin directory?
                    If so, what are the last 20 lines in this file?
                    If not, ask your hosting provider where your PHP Error Log is stored. What are the last 20 lines in that file?

The permissions on your .htaccess file should be at least 444. Maybe 644 depending on who owns it and what the user of your webserver is.

Wayne Luke

Comment

The standard PHP doesn't log errors ... there's a recommendation of a php.ini file with a short script to log all errors. But I don't know in which folder I should copy this ini-file. I opened another ticket at my provider.

I fear that I'm having to stick to my old forum and cannot upgrade to the 5.5.5 vbulletin; as I'm not a real expert in exploring the bits & bytes.

Thanks again for your kind efforts ... greetings
                      Markus Stein

Comment

If you submit a support ticket and provide us with admincp and (s)ftp credentials, we can take a look.

My strong suspicion is there's something wrong with that .htaccess file.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Good idea - I just submitted the ticket.

Good luck and again thank you
                          Markus

Comment

For anyone else with this issue, particularly those hosting with 1and1/Ionos, edit the .htaccess file in your root directory and remove the # from this line:

#RewriteBase /
                            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                            -
                            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                            - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                            - "Quick Route" Interface...
                            - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

I think I have a similar issue.

After upgrade I can no longer access my AdminCP.
                              If I go to xxx.com/admincp I just get an empty dir listing for the /admincp dir
                              If I go to xxx.com/core/admincp I get the error "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

Edit. I worked this out. I needed to remove the empty admincp dir at / leaving only the one in /core.
                              Last edited by woodmj; Thu 9th Jan '20, 4:24am.

Comment