Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving forum frontpage to root and keep the rest in /forum/ and keeping old ULRs from DBSeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving forum frontpage to root and keep the rest in /forum/ and keeping old ULRs from DBSeo

Hi!

I'm moving from 4.2.5 to 5.5.5 and I've a couple of questions.

1st: Right now I have my 4.2.5 forum frontpage in /forum/forum.php I'd like to know what should I do to move the frontpage to / (root), as you can see in forums like https://www.talknewsuk.com/ or https://www.adminammo.com/ where just the frontpage is in / but the rest is in /forum/.

2nd: I'm using DBSeo in 4.2.5 and I'd like to keep as much url as I can when moving to 5.5.5 as I'm aware DBSeo is not available in vb5. I've reading the procedure to upgrade from vb4 to vb5 and I've seen I need to disable the products and then start the upgrade. Will that be enough to keep the old URLs or do I need to write custom redirecction rules in .htaccess?

Thanks!

You can put vBulletin in the root of your directory. A list of forums will be accessing at /forum (no directory needed). Adding a /forum directory can break your vBulletin 5 site. There is no forum.php in vBulletin 5. In fact almost all of the old PHP files from vBulletin 4 are gone. There are better ways of handling routes these days.

There is no mechanism to use the DBSEO URLs. You will need to redirect these to the default vBulletin 4.X URLs so that vBulletin 5 can interpret them and send users to the new location.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi Wayne,

Prior to start the upgrade, which of this 4 options located in vb4 general settings should I chose about URL after / before deleting dbseo?

Standard URLs
      Basic Friendly URLs
      Advanced Friendly URLs
      Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs

Thanks.

Comment

Any of them will work. Standard is the simplest. All the others are converted to the "Standard" format before vBulletin 4.X does anything with them.

vBulletin 5 will create 301 redirects for all of your content and redirect the older vBulletin 4 URLs to their new vBulletin 5 location.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks for the support Wayne.

Comment