Norton Safeweb Warning??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Safeweb Warning??

Just turned on a new vBulletin forum - when some users try to access it, they get a warning message from Norton Security indicating the forum is not safe.

***** Message forum users receive below ***
    Dangerous Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:

https://ourforumname.vbulletin.net/index.php

This is a known dangerous web page. It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page.
    ***** End of message ****

Checked safeweb.norton.com - it appears vbulletin.net has been "black listed". Does vBulletin have this on their radar? Is there a solution?

Thank you.

After the exploit, my vbulletin was blacklisted on Norton. I subscribed to an internet security provider and installed a firewall. This is of course after deleting all malicious files. I then submitted a reevaluation ticket with Norton explaining to them that I cleaned the website. They reviewed my website and cleared me accordingly.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      None of this is relevant to vBulletin Cloud.

It doesn't make any sense that vBulletin Cloud-based forums should individually have to clear this up with Norton. One of the benefits of the Cloud is vBulletin automatically updates their software including security patches. I would expect vBulletin to be working this issue with Norton on behalf of all of their Cloud subscribers. Perhaps someone from vBulletin will comment on this.

Comment

I don't see any sort of notice on your site though I am not using Norton. File Permissions on vBulletin Cloud prevented any of them from being accessed and all vBulletin Cloud sites share the same files.

The best solution would be to use a custom domain name such as the one that was offered when you purchased the Cloud Subscription. I'll have the Cloud Project Manager look at this to see if he has any insight.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

To clarify, the issue is NOT with my vBulletin Cloud forum/site (or any other Cloud vBulletin forum for that matter). The issue is with forum users who use Norton security products. When they try to access our forum, Norton is checking their database of unsafe sites. vBulletin.net is listed in the Norton database as unsafe (you can see this by visiting safeweb.norton.com and entering vbulletin.net). As a result, some Norton users receive the error message I shared earlier. This is scaring forum users away! We have tried to assure these users that our forum software is up-to-date and all appropriate SSL certificate are in place and properly configured. Despite our assurances (including screenshots of multiple SSL checkers showing everything is okay), some users will not use our forum since Norton is saying vBulletin.net is not safe. I'm sure other vBulletin.net forums have Norton users receiving the same messages. Thank you.

Comment

I know what the issue is. If someone reports a vbulletin.net domain run by someone else in their Norton software, it will affect your site. It doesn't matter if it is abc.vbulletin.net or hrw.vbulletin.net. The long-term solution remains the same and that is to use a custom domain name. This provides a buffer between your cloud site and others. A custom domain name bring additional benefits as well. These include better search engine rankings, a SSL certificate specific to your domain, and an email forwarder.

However, our Cloud Project Manager is contacting Norton to have the notice removed. There is no guarantee they will do this or that the notice will be removed permanently.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 4th Oct '19, 12:30pm.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thank you very much!
            Last edited by Hwise; Fri 4th Oct '19, 1:45pm.

Comment

Norton has notified us that they have removed the warning on vbulletin.net websites.

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/sh...=vbulletin.net

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X