vBull 5 Connect partial upgrad partial new install HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBull 5 Connect partial upgrad partial new install HELP

Hi had an older version of vbull. I have no idea what happened, but somewhere the whole thing has been deleted from my server. All the files. I do however seem to have the database (I hope - It appears that way anyway). I need to install the new version, but connect it to the current database. Can someone assist me with this? I tried a new install, but as soon as I started the install script, it took me to the vBulletin 5 Configuration Builder, with a RED warning of "Warning backend already exists." I think this warning is partially a good thing. The bad thing is, it won't let me go any further until I fill out all of the configuration builder fields. This seems like something I don't want to do.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong here? I'm very stuck at this point. Thank you!

Rename /config.php.bkp to config.php as stated in the upgrade instructions in your vb5readme.html file.
    Run /core/install/upgrade.php not /core/install/install.php.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I ran the upgrade.php rather than the install.php and it still loaded the builder page with the red warning. I added a screenshot so you can see the url I'm pointing to and the message I'm getting. The config.php was renamed (previously) and is in the core/includes folder. Does that all sound right? Any other ideas?

Comment

This means one of your REQUIRED config.php files is missing. There are two. One in the root directory that ships as config.php.bkp and needs to be renamed to config.php and one in the /core/includes directory that is renamed from config.php.new to config.php. The error says the Backend Config.php exists. This is the one in the /core/includes directory. THIS MEANS that the config.php in your root directory DOES NOT EXIST.

Rename the file named config.php.bkp to config.php.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I have done that. When I delete the config.php from the "forum" (renamed from upload) folder it gets me to where I am now. If I put it back in the forum folder, it gives me this error.

"Startup Errors
          Due to the following errors, the install/upgrade can not continue:
          Error description: 2: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'camina2_camina2'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
          The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the core/includes/config.php file"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            Deleting the file causes the error of a missing file. The makeconfig.php file tries to correct this.

The second error isn't related to the /config.php or makeconfig.php. It is incorrect information in the /core/includes/config.php file. We cannot correct this. You have to correct the file.

You must NOT delete the front end config file. It MUST be there.

The error you are getting means that the database connection settings in the OTHER (back end) config file are incorrect.
          This file is at /core/includes/config.php

You need to edit that (renaming it if has any other extension on the end) and then edit the database credentials. If you are not sure of these, ask your host or database administrator.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I think it's probably worth my pasting in my own instructions for an upgrade to vB5.
            I wrote these for those scenarios where things don't seem to be going to plan and there might be some confusion.
            This lists everything step by step by step. Please check and ensure you have followed ALL the steps:
            vB3 / vB4 to vB5 Upgrade Instructions
            ****BACK UP THE DATABASE & FILES FIRST****

1. You need to remove all vB3 / vB4 files and folders out of the way first, (except attachments, avatars etc if you're storing these on the server).

2. Download and unzip the vBulletin 5 files.

3. You need to rename this file:

htaccess.txt

To:

.htaccess
            (Note the 'dot' at the start)

4. You need to rename this file:

/config.php.bkp

To:

/config.php

Then, you need to rename this file:

/core/includes/config.php.new

To:

/core/includes/config.php

Then, in that file, you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
            Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
            Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
            Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
            Enter the database password inside the '' marks.

If you have a table prefix you will need to add it here:
            $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = '';

All other fields should be left as default, unless your database is on a separate server, in which case this will need changing:
            $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';

5. Upload all files to your server

6. Browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/upgrade.php.

7. Enter your customer number and the upgrade will proceed.

8. Delete the /core/install directory after the upgrade has finished.

MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              You must NOT delete the front end config file. It MUST be there.

The error you are getting means that the database connection settings in the OTHER (back end) config file are incorrect.
              This file is at /core/includes/config.php

You need to edit that (renaming it if has any other extension on the end) and then edit the database credentials. If you are not sure of these, ask your host or database administrator.
              Thanks Mark. I am running the update now. I had to change my Db password and add the config.php file in there again. I somehow had the old 4.2 config file where the one new was supposed to go.I really appreciate your help. Hopefully this upgrade works. I've been running it for nearly an hour and it's only on 21%. lol

Comment

DANG! SOOOO close. I installed and now I'm trying to log in to the admincp. I cannot remember my password. It doesn't do me any good to do the reset password thing because I don't recall which email is associated with the admin account. How can I go about changing the admin password? I do remember the user ID number , just not the password. Please help.

Comment

There is no way to reset the password if you don't have access to the AdminCP or the email address. You would have to create a new user and then use tools.php to assign that user to be an admin.

https://forum.vbulletin.com/articles...sing-tools-php

Wayne Luke

Comment