Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB5 Diagnostics and Options - where is the option to Disable Problematic Webserver Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB5 Diagnostics and Options - where is the option to Disable Problematic Webserver Options?

I recently upgraded, went through to remove suspect file versions and I'm just checking other diagnostics.

If I run Diagnostics, Problematic Web Server Modules under Mod Security I get the message "Ajax Unicode Issue....Yes"

My understanding is that there used to be a setting under Vbulletin Options, General Settings, enabling me to "Disable Problematic Features".

That option isn't there now.

So where do I go now to fix this problem?
    Last edited by jdj; Wed 29th May '19, 5:16am.

The option is not valid in vBulletin 5. It was removed. You cannot turn off AJAX functionality in vBulletin 5. The software will not work without it. I'll open a bug report to have the language for that test updated.

What are the specific issues that mod_security is causing your site? Changing options just for the sake of changing options is not the proper way to do things.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      What are the specific issues that mod_security is causing your site? Changing options just for the sake of changing options is not the proper way to do things.
      I'm not aware that it is causing issues. I'm running the diagnostics as part of my clean-up - just checking for problems. If that diagnostic test is no longer valid perhaps it shouldn't be there.

Comment

The test is valid. The text in the results is invalid.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          The test is valid. The text in the results is invalid.
          So basically the result of the test doesn't mean anything then?

Comment

At the moment as Wayne said, the text is not valid but the test is. A bug report is being opened to have this changed.
            What won't change is that you cannot turn off AJAX in vB5, it requires it to run. If there is an AJAX issue you will need to work with your host to resolve it.
            As you are not experiencing issues then there is nothing to worry about.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              At the moment as Wayne said, the text is not valid but the test is. A bug report is being opened to have this changed.
              What won't change is that you cannot turn off AJAX in vB5, it requires it to run. If there is an AJAX issue you will need to work with your host to resolve it.
              As you are not experiencing issues then there is nothing to worry about.
              I can't see anything anywhere that would point me in the direction of why the diagnostic test, the result of which is supposedly valid even if the text isn't, is giving this result. Just in case anyone wants to know for the bug report I'm on Apache (cgi-fcgi), PHP 7.2.18, MySQL 10.1.38-MariaDB-cll-lve.

Comment

The test is to detect whether specific modules within Apache and/or PHP are installed. These are not standard modules but are frequently used. They can cause problems when submitting large forms via POST/GET and during AJAX calls (which are basically behind the scenes form submittals). If you are experiencing problems with the normal operation of vBulletin, then Support may ask you to run this test and report the results. Then we can give further information.

If you are not experiencing problems with vBulletin, then the diagnostic tests are of little value and don't need to be run at all. In reality, the only diagnostic test that should be executed if your vBulletin is operating properly is the "Suspect File Versions" diagnostic and then only after a version upgrade or to check the security of your server. You want to run it after upgrades so you can delete any unnecessary files from the /core/ directory. Files become unnecessary when we refactor code to remove remnants of the vBulletin 4 codebase or to make the code more efficient.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 30th May '19, 9:55am.

Wayne Luke

Comment