I'm at a crossroads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm at a crossroads...

I am in the process of moving to another server. Due to doing this, I want to move a fresh install over instead of the one that I am using now that has had mods added and deleted over the past several years.

I initially was going to install the current version of VB4 to a test location and then reroute it to point to the existing Databases.

Now looking at VB5 it says that you need to install it clean and not do an upgrade.

My dilemma is do I go the direction that I am currently on or should I just install VB5 now.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    John

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    You can do an upgrade, you just need to remove all vB4 files before uploading the vB5 ones
    So I understand what you are saying Trevor.

I can install VB4 now (www.mysite/forums/), link my current database to it. When I go to VB5, I just delete all the files under /forums and just upload the new files? It will then format the database to the new configuration?

Thanks

Comment

Almost! When you decide to go to vB5, you'll remove the vB4 files (all of them), upload the new ones and fill out two configuration files. Once you have done this, you need to fire up the upgrade script (www.mysite/forums/core/upgrade.php). Once you've done that, the system will upgrade your vB4 database, to vB5 and you'll be good to go.
      Aakif Nazir

Comment

Originally posted by Aakif Nazir View Post
        Almost! When you decide to go to vB5, you'll remove the vB4 files (all of them), upload the new ones and fill out two configuration files. Once you have done this, you need to fire up the upgrade script (www.mysite/forums/core/upgrade.php). Once you've done that, the system will upgrade your vB4 database, to vB5 and you'll be good to go.
        Thanks for the info. How is the Beta going on it? Would it be worth doing now or waiting? I know it's hard for you guys to answer that but I also know that you are on Beta 16.

Thanks again,
        John

Comment

As of now, we don't recommend using a beta product to start a production site as there's quite a few bugs which will be ironed out along the way to Gold release. Currently, we are on Beta 17 on the vB5 Demo Site and since the first public beta, it's made quite a few advancements in terms of performance and bug fixing.

I recommend using vBulletin 4 for your site and should you want to, you can upgrade to vBulletin 5 when you feel the time is right.
          Aakif Nazir

Comment

Originally posted by Aakif Nazir View Post
            As of now, we don't recommend using a beta product to start a production site as there's quite a few bugs which will be ironed out along the way to Gold release. Currently, we are on Beta 17 on the vB5 Demo Site and since the first public beta, it's made quite a few advancements in terms of performance and bug fixing.

I recommend using vBulletin 4 for your site and should you want to, you can upgrade to vBulletin 5 when you feel the time is right.
            Thanks, I'll do that.

Comment