Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Blank Screen on Install (vb5 on hostmonster.com)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm traveling now and the signal at the hotel is very weak. Can't connect to my server. A tech at vbulletin made me realize what the issue is. And I think that's where you're also heading with your last post. While uploading the upload folder from the vb5 download, there was a server hiccup and several folders inside the core folder were not uploaded. That's why the install script was prompting for the files in the folder that didn't get uploaded.

I'll upload them on Monday when I get back home, unless the hotel internet signal gets stronger, then I'll let you know. Thank you for your patience with me.

If that doesn't work, I've already uploaded vb4.2 on my server. I'll install that version instead.

Even though vb5 is a beta version, I like what I see and I trust vb to come up with the full stable version soon. I like the back-end platform and the ease drop and drag features to create and manage pages. I don't know what v4.2 has even though it's the stable version now.

Do you still recommend that I go vb4 first since I'm gonna go live? What's the deal for updating later to vb5? Won't I have to import forums already active? I just don't want to interrupt users weeks after I just invite them to participate. Understand? I just want to go vb5 even with the missing features for now so I won't have to move forums from vb4 to vb5.

- - - Updated - - -

Wayne YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to upload the files and folders that were cut off by the disconnection and .... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran install and I am in the cp admin area now!!!!!

Lessons learned: after uploading the files on the server, it is recommended to make sure every file and every folder made it. Connection failure does occur sometimes when we just let the uploading process run while we take our eyes off.

Thanks for all the help on this topic. I hope I don't find any issue but to come back here on the forum helping the best way I can.

Wayne, do you still think I should go vb4 instead of vb5?

Comment

What's in the server error logs for the time of the blank page? What version of PHP are you using on that server?
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
      - "Quick Route" Interface...
      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

When you say deleted the config files, do you mean the ones from the ZIP or the ones on your server?
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
        - "Quick Route" Interface...
        - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

What are the contents of your .htaccess file uploaded to the server?

What is the directory that you installed in?

Any .htaccess in parent directories?
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

vb5 to vb5 upgrades should be the same as a vb4 to vb4 upgrade. Upload the files and run /core/install/upgrade.php. Though we recommend a database backup before starting in all cases.

As for the original problem, try adding the following to your .htaccess just under RewriteEngine On.

RewriteBase /

Shouldn't be needed if you're installed in the public_html directory but might help.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment