Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from vBulletin 4.2.2 PL 1 to vBulletin 5: what .htaccess file edits are required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from vBulletin 4.2.2 PL 1 to vBulletin 5: what .htaccess file edits are required?

Now that the CMS replacement is here and Joe has found a workaround to replace the calendar I am looking at upgrading from vBulletin 4.2.2 PL1 to vB5. Looking at where most of the problems seem to arise it looks to me as though one of the commonest ones is making sure that the .htaccess file is uploaded to the site.

When you install vBulletin you have to make changes to the config.php file prior to uploading.

When upgrading from vBulletin 4.2.2 PL1 to latest version of vB5, do you have to make any edits to the .htaccess file prior to uploading to the root of your site?

If so, what edits are required?

vBulletin only uses an .htaccess file if you are using the full rewrite URLs.
    In any event, you should use the completely default .htaccess file that ships with the vB5 package, and remove any others.
    The default file will work in most cases.

You should however move your vB4 files to a backup folder, EXCEPT for any user generated images (sig pics, attachments, avatars, profile pics, group icons) if they are stored in the file system. Don't attempt to upload vB5 over the top of vB4, it causes issues that can be tricky to unpick later on.

And most importantly, upgrade a test mirror first!
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.1 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment