Hiding date of birth on user-profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding date of birth on user-profiles

It's been brought to my attention that displaying users' dates of birth by default is not considered secure or compliant with privacy requirements.

I have done some research and I've read that it's not possible to globally hide users' dob - you need to edit each user's profile manually? This is not really practical with thousands of users.

Is that correct?

What is and isn't a "Privacy Violation" varies greatly depending on the laws governing your site's location and jurisdiction. We provide many tools to try and comply with these different laws. However, it is up to the site owner to implement them as necessary for their local laws.

The default settings don't even ask for a Birthday. Users have control over this by editing their profile. If they want to hide it, then they can do so. They can change this by selecting User Settings by clicking on your username in the top right corner of the page and then select Account.

You can turn off requiring Birthdays by setting COPPA to disabled (Settings -> Options -> Privacy) and setting "Require Birthdays" to No under Settings -> Options -> User Profile Option. COPPA is only required if your site is reasonably targeting children under the age of 13 in the US.

Finally download customers can go to Maintenance -> Execute SQL Query in the AdminCP. Then can run one of these queries to change how birthdays are displayed globally.

Code:
    Hide Age & Date of Birth: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 0
    Display Age: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 1
    Display Age & Date of Birth: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 2
    However, users can again change this to fit their desire.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

We've been running this forum for 14 years and the default may have been historic. GDPR wasn't around back then. It wasn't on my radar until a member pointed it out.

The SQL solution is perfect.

I have no issue with members choosing to display their dob but I'd definitely prefer them to make a conscisous choice.

Comment