Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mass-registration of dotted-adress GMail: how stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass-registration of dotted-adress GMail: how stop it?

Greetings!

For 5 days in a row, hundreds of bots are registered on my server (5.6.4, no addons).

Someone is using a script to register bots with names like "Alex---", where "---" are distinct letters.

At the same time, all bots have the same email address, such as [email protected], but with the addition of dots. For example:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Click image for larger version

Name:	vBan.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	4456920

And so on ad infinitum, since from the point of view of GMail it is one address, but from the point of view of vBulletin these are different addresses, and it allows registration.

I have temporarily disabled registration from GMail, but this is not a solution. Banned Email Addresses of the form *.*.*@gmail.com in Options - User Banning Options does not help: vBulletin continues to register multi-dotted addresses.

Does anyone know the solution, or will we all soon drown in such fake registrations?

Thank you!

@gmail.com would ban them all.

A better solution might be to require email verification on registration. Then delete users in the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" usergroup on a periodic basis. You can also find tools for spam management under Settings -> Spam Management.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      @gmail.com would ban them all.
      I'm not sure for this.

A better solution might be to require email verification on registration. Then delete users in the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" usergroup on a periodic basis.
      Thank you, but this method is only suitable for solving already registered but not authorized users. It was this method that allowed me to clean up the list (see my screenshot).

You can also find tools for spam management under Settings -> Spam Management.
      And this I use too.

Well, since there is no solution, I will have to - and a little later each of us - to clean our stables only...

Thank you, Wayne Luke!

Comment