Question regarding webmaster tools "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding webmaster tools "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag"

Hey, just saw that webmaster tools from google shows me that I have a very very very very huge amount of pages which are "
    "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag"

What is confusing for me is, that for example. one of the pages has the follwing link:
    https://www.bolidenforum.de/forum/Au...ch/page2?rich=

I am surprised now, because I actually dont find a topic named like audi e-tron pop-up store and so on via search and also not in the specific forum. I can only visit it via this strange link.
    Any idea what could cause this?

Another example: https://www.bolidenforum.de/forum/ch...d-pdf?p=129760

Both topics also have just one single page.

Also I just realized, that the dates are shown in a strange format like "21_SunE, 21.10.2018"

help plz and have a nice week!

Originally posted by zweeper View Post
    What is confusing for me is, that for example. one of the pages has the following link:
    https://www.bolidenforum.de/forum/Audi/E-Tron-Quattro/27883-audi-e-tron-pop-up-store-in-z?rich/page3?rich?rich/page2?rich/page3?rich?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich/page3?rich?rich/page3?rich?rich?rich/page3?rich/page3?rich/page3?rich/page3?rich/page3?rich?rich/page3?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich/page2?rich?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich?rich?rich/page2?rich/page2?rich/page3?rich?rich/page2?rich=
    I am not sure what is going on here. Something is breaking this URL. Maybe bad translation or an addon but everything past the first ? in the URL is garbage that shouldn't be there. However, sub-pages of a topic should refer to the canonical URL of Page one and not be individually indexed.

If you look at the source code fro the actual page it does not contain the noindex reference. This one: https://www.bolidenforum.de/forum/Au...-up-store-in-z

Though something is still adding ?rich at the end... The question mark (?) is a reserved character in URLs and it means that everything behind it is a variable and not used for routing. You shouldn't see any question marks (?) in vBulletin discussion URLs. First, I would check the actual URL by editing the first page of the topic in Site Builder and making sure there is not a hardcoded question mark in there for some reason. If there isn't then you need to check your addons to see if they are adding this.

Individual posts should not be indexed separately in search engines. The system should only index the first page. This link is going to a specific post, not the first page. Older versions of vBulletin may have improperly indexed individual posts since there was a mechanism to show a single post on its own page.

How are you generating your Site Map XML file? This should be generated via the tool provided in the AdminCP. Other tools may not work properly and index pages improperly.

Also I just realized, that the dates are shown in a strange format like "21_SunE, 21.10.2018"
    Date formatting was changed during the 5.6.X series to make formatting more consistent across operating systems and server Locales. Dates for our distributed languages were updated to reflect this. If you're not using one of the languages we provide, you'll need to review your settings to make sure they work with the new formatting.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

first of it all. thanks wayne for the support! I could solve the date format problem by selecting the new language phrase package. Looks good so far!

Regarding the other issue:
      I checked the URL of the topic in page builder and it looks like, the topic is refereing to the forum itself, not to any specific topic.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	vb_1.png Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	4456884

I think it has something to do with the Umlaut in "Zürich", which would be the correct name.
      I can find the thread in my forum by searching only "audi e-tron pop up store". When I add "Zürich", I can not find it.

The URL of this thread is then the following:
      https://www.bolidenforum.de/forum/Au...tore-in-z?rich
      But also here, the URL looks the same in page builder as above and in the sourcecode I can see the "noindex" tag added.

I am not using any third party addons.

Regarding the sitemap: I am using the standard VB XML Sitemap generator and submit this one to google.
      Last edited by zweeper; Tue 4 May '21, 4:21am.

Comment

You might want to turn on ASCII URLs to prevent this issue. Even today, the RTF governing URL formatting doesn't support UTF-8 characters in URLS. Google is trying to change that but that could take a decade or more to be accepted everywhere.

You can turn on ASCII URLs this in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Site URLs and Routing. This will transliterate the UTF-8 characters into ASCII equivalents.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I am using this option already

Comment

The Main Thing I don't get is the noindex tags. Can't explain where these are coming from.

Comment

Both examples should be marked "NoIndex" and include a canonical URL included within the header. The canonical URL would lead to the first post/page of the topic and that would lead to indexing. The example links should not be included in a current XML Site Map.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ok, so I shouldn't really care about this, right?

Comment