Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PageSpeed and VB5

Hi guys.....

Little issue..... I've got the forum very slow.... I tried to test it for page Speed and example:

https://developers.google.com/speed/...asforum.com%2F

Or here... grade E....

For the vbulletin.... the tips.. that this sites give you... are valid? Or on VB is better to optimize the forum in other ways?

Thanks for your time..

Google's PageSpeed tool is specifically for mobile devices. It is also not completely accurate for vBulletin. The javascript and CSS that it says isn't being used is actually being used on the site. Some of the items they look for aren't in the control of vBulletin as well. Every single vBulletin site will have a different TTFB( Time To First Byte). This will depend on your server configuration and current network traffic of the datacenter. I have seen this site reach as high as 91 and as low as 65 on PageSpeed. It all depends on the time of day.

On my PC, I download your site in 2 seconds once I whitelisted your ads script. With that blocked, the time went to 5 seconds. If I throttle it to "Fast 3G", the time goes up to 10 seconds for content loaded. Though I would say that the biggest issue on your site, is the total number of DOM Elements. Google wants this to be at 1500 elements. Your site has 2,662. Mostly from the number of forums you have on the home page, image ads for each forum, and the Today's Birthday Module. It should be noted that while the advertising images aren't shown for Mobile Devices using the web client, they are still loaded and that takes time.

The vBulletin Mobile Apps give a faster experience to end users. They don't download the interface (templates, languages, javascript, or CSS). These are built into the application and stored on the end-user's device.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Google's PageSpeed tool is specifically for mobile devices. It is also not completely accurate for vBulletin. The javascript and CSS that it says isn't being used is actually being used on the site. Some of the items they look for aren't in the control of vBulletin as well. Every single vBulletin site will have a different TTFB( Time To First Byte). This will depend on your server configuration and current network traffic of the datacenter. I have seen this site reach as high as 91 and as low as 65 on PageSpeed. It all depends on the time of day.

On my PC, I download your site in 2 seconds once I whitelisted your ads script. With that blocked, the time went to 5 seconds. If I throttle it to "Fast 3G", the time goes up to 10 seconds for content loaded. Though I would say that the biggest issue on your site, is the total number of DOM Elements. Google wants this to be at 1500 elements. Your site has 2,662. Mostly from the number of forums you have on the home page, image ads for each forum, and the Today's Birthday Module. It should be noted that while the advertising images aren't shown for Mobile Devices using the web client, they are still loaded and that takes time.

The vBulletin Mobile Apps give a faster experience to end users. They don't download the interface (templates, languages, javascript, or CSS). These are built into the application and stored on the end-user's device.
      Ok... but the catogories is better with images not?

Mh... But....... until a few days ago... the forum goes 3-4 time faster than this.. Don't know... with the same elements in index.....

Mh.. it's possible to show the TODAY'S BD module only .. to determinated users.... (me for example)

But... thisone testing the DESKTOP version too... and.. GRADE F..

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.dai....com/EOANQJE4/

I can't improve the speed with this tips?

Comment

There are some issues in the bug tracker to improve page speed over time. However, it is always difficult to make things more consistent across server configurations and user devices since vBulletin is not an application in the traditional sense. It is a series of PHP scripts that are interpreted by the web server. If there are query issues, we fix those as quickly as possible but page rendering speed issues generally aren't related to the database or PHP processing directly.

vBulletin.com's forums get a 94% on gtmetrix.com (at the time of this post). We haven't modified the software to do this. We're not doing anything special. The site uses Apache 2.4.X with PHP 7.3.X. We are using Memcached to hold data caches in memory and OpCache to hold compiled PHP in memory. We store CSS in the file system. We use Cloudflare as well. These features are available to most customers depending on your hosting provider.

You can try storing your CSS as files to reduce blocking issues. They are still files that need to be loaded. Looking at the gtmetrix report, it appears you're not caching images or they are ignoring the headers. Are you using the default .htaccess file? It has two methods to cache images in it depending on the modules loaded into Apache.

But some of their tips aren't realistic.

Put CSS and JS inline? Not only is that not practical with a Web App but it is a security risk. By loading the files of Javascript and CSS, they are cached by the end user and do not need to be loaded each subsequent visit. This actually decreases page load.

Put end-user avatars in a sprite? Putting avatars in a sprite will cause more problems than it resolves. Those are the only images not in a sprite in a default installation. vBulletin uses an SVG image sprite for everything else. SVG can be compressed by the server easily since they are just text in a file. The default .htaccess tells the server to do just that if mod_deflate is installed in Apache.

Automated tests don't always tell all of the story.

If you can't configure your server, then you might look at vBulletin Cloud. Though template modifications aren't allowed on Cloud at this time.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 22 Mar '21, 10:21am.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I also am experiencing some true slowness. We use DreamHost as our provider, and the site is hosted on SSD drives. Some users are reporting 15, 20 and even 30-second times before a page is displayed.

Testing on GTMetrix typically results an a score of F, sometimes an E. Admittedly, our forum startup has a lot to display, but the old vb4 site loaded in the blink of an eye. Same server, same SSD, same database engine, PHP 7.4.15, MySql 5.7.28, Apache and Linux, Opcache enabled. There are no ads. I've discovered that while the site is hosted in a server bank in Virginia, the MySQL server bank is located in Oregon and I'm wondering if that isn't part of the problem....

It would be nice to have a document that specifies performance enhancing tweaks.

https://diychristmas.org/vb5

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/diychristmas.org/OI8bngTq/
          Last edited by dirknerkle; Mon 22 Mar '21, 12:01pm.

Comment

Having your webserver and mysql servers on opposite sides of the country can cause latency issues between the two. Really depends on the network and the upstream providers the hosting provider uses. When I visited your site for the first time, it loaded in about 6.5 seconds. With a hard refresh (ignoring caches) it loads in 6.5 seconds. I am currently experiencing a 1.5 second connection as well due to network issues from my provider. That affects every site and service, including this one at the moment. My internet connection is modest these days with a maximum download speed of about 260 Mbps.

What devices are the users with problems using? What are their internet speeds? They can test internet speed at speedtest.net or by using one of the apps for that site.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dirknerkle
              dirknerkle commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the kind reply. It doesn't seem to matter whether they use a phone, tablet or desktop, wired or wireless. I myself see the problem -- and I have a 1gb line. The web site's home page is https://diychristmas.org and it loads very quickly as it's a static page with very few graphics or links. The forum adds /vb5 to the URL and that's where things really bog down. I tried it about 5 minutes ago and it took 17 seconds to load. Something is obviously wrong.

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              I was looking at your forums before and they seem to load fairly quickly for me. It all gets down into the server configuration though. Probably should have your own topic and answer all the questions in the sticky on this forum labeled "Required for support." Also make sure your server configuration meets at least the minimum memory requirements for PHP of 128 MB. Though, you have a lot of second level forums so you might need 256 MB.Rearranging forums and showing fewer forums on the vBulletin home page will also speed things up.

Solved.... it was a plugin problem..... that appears uninstalled but present.... now faster...... -3 seconds....

Thanks for support wayne..... take a look now!

Comment