Cannot change URL because it's in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot change URL because it's in use

So, I have been changing URLs for my forums and once I have made up my mind and have decided to go for another URL and then revert to the old one.
    Unfortunately, I got an error stating that this is not possible because the URL is in use.
    Question: Where can I access some URL database and delete some of the entries for a particular forum so that I can use of them again?

I have some more info on this...
    Actually, it seems like I change the URL once, after that I can't change it to something else.
    How can I fix this?

Could there be some change delay? I know Google needs some time to update the URLs before we can do another redirect. Could there be a connection to that when it comes to often URL changes?

I dont care at the moment because everything needs to be redone....
    Last edited by PiotrGT1; Tue 9 Mar '21, 9:50am.

Comment

When you change the URL of an object, the system will automatically create a 301 redirect route from the old name to the new one. This prevents link rot and allows content to remain accessible from web searches and shared links.

Routes are stored in the routenew table. However, deleting content directly from the database can make your content inaccessible as there are many interconnections, and for some unknown reason, the software does not use referential integrity.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        When you change the URL of an object, the system will automatically create a 301 redirect route from the old name to the new one. This prevents link rot and allows content to remain accessible from web searches and shared links.

Routes are stored in the routenew table. However, deleting content directly from the database can make your content inaccessible as there are many interconnections, and for some unknown reason, the software does not use referential integrity.
        How many days do I need to wait until I can create a new redirect? that is, if that's even possible?

Comment

Okay, there is a way around this.

Move all topics to another forum category, delete the forum category, and then recreate that forum category, give the desired name, move old forum topics, and boooom, your done.
          Last edited by PiotrGT1; Thu 11 Mar '21, 6:16am.

Comment