Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delicjous
    replied
    You are right, the best option is to get it from cache or database but unfortunately many people don't know how to do. If the forum have a lot of channels you could group it again like:
    HTML Code:
    <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] AND in_array($page['channelid'], array(1, 10, 15))">
      <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 1">
        Text or better a phrase for channelid 1!
      <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 10" />
        Text or better a phrase for channelid 10!
      <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 15" />
        Text or better a phrase for channelid 15!
      </vb:if>
    <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] AND in_array($page['channelid'], array(16, 20, 25))" />

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It is really six one way and half a dozen another. Using a large number of conditionals in a template is also messy can can potentially slow down processing.

Leave a comment:

• delicjous
    replied
    That will be a mess and a lot of work to put a new widget to all channels. You could use a template-hook and 1 new template on this hook . In the template you need one or more if conditions.

HTML Code:
    <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == X">
    Text or better a phrase for channelid X!
    <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == Y" />
    Text or better a phrase for channelid Y!
    <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == Z" />
    Text or better a phrase for channelid Z!
    You could also use the "display template" widget/ module to display your template, but without border!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Each channel would need to be saved as its own Page Template. Sorry, I skipped that part. When saving, set "Overwrite Template" to No and give it a new Page Template name.

Leave a comment:

• PiotrGT1
    replied
    Thanks Wayne for the directions.

I have added the static content module and now the content is not only appearing in the specific channel but in all channels:
    https://www.granturismo.pl/forum/gran-turismo-6-gt6
    https://www.granturismo.pl/forum/gra...-prologue-gt5p

How can I get this to work in a way so that I can show unique descriptions on every channel?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    There is a channel description module that you can place on the page. However, it will show whatever you place in the Description Field when editing a channel in the AdminCP. This will be the same in both locations.

Instead, you can add a "Static HTML" module to the page in that location and include all the text you want. You'll need to use HTML 5 tags to insert line breaks and paragraphs.

Also if you edit the Channel page and save it, then you can enter your own Description for the meta description tag. I believe Google only uses 320 characters of this description for indexing but it can up to 1024 characters. The meta description is not shown to users.

Leave a comment:

• PiotrGT1
    started a topic Channel name/forum category extra decription

Channel name/forum category extra decription

Is there a way to turn on some sort of extra channel/forum category description feature?

For example, by default we have those short descriptions beneath the channel/forum category (highlighted beneath in yellow) but I want to take SEO to a higher level and feature full descriptions which would not show up on the homepage, just on the particular channel/forum category pages (in the second screenshot - have extended text in the area where there are red lines). I know it's possible to show descriptions (even long ones) on those pages (homepage/channel page) but I just want to keep the homepage short and straight to the point.

Perhaps there is a cut-off code which I can put in the existing description?
    For example I would put a sentence and then put <end> and anything afterwards will not be visible on the homepage, but the complete message will appear on the category page.

Let me know guys if there is a way about this.

Thanks.

Homepage

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture111.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	4454700

Forum Category page/Channel

Click image for larger version

Name:	1111ss.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	114.2 KB