Channel name/forum category extra decription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel name/forum category extra decription

Is there a way to turn on some sort of extra channel/forum category description feature?

For example, by default we have those short descriptions beneath the channel/forum category (highlighted beneath in yellow) but I want to take SEO to a higher level and feature full descriptions which would not show up on the homepage, just on the particular channel/forum category pages (in the second screenshot - have extended text in the area where there are red lines). I know it's possible to show descriptions (even long ones) on those pages (homepage/channel page) but I just want to keep the homepage short and straight to the point.

Perhaps there is a cut-off code which I can put in the existing description?
    For example I would put a sentence and then put <end> and anything afterwards will not be visible on the homepage, but the complete message will appear on the category page.

Let me know guys if there is a way about this.

Thanks.

Homepage

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture111.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	4454700

Forum Category page/Channel

Click image for larger version

Name:	1111ss.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	4454702

Attached Files

There is a channel description module that you can place on the page. However, it will show whatever you place in the Description Field when editing a channel in the AdminCP. This will be the same in both locations.

Instead, you can add a "Static HTML" module to the page in that location and include all the text you want. You'll need to use HTML 5 tags to insert line breaks and paragraphs.

Also if you edit the Channel page and save it, then you can enter your own Description for the meta description tag. I believe Google only uses 320 characters of this description for indexing but it can up to 1024 characters. The meta description is not shown to users.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks Wayne for the directions.

I have added the static content module and now the content is not only appearing in the specific channel but in all channels:
      https://www.granturismo.pl/forum/gran-turismo-6-gt6
      https://www.granturismo.pl/forum/gra...-prologue-gt5p

How can I get this to work in a way so that I can show unique descriptions on every channel?

Comment

Each channel would need to be saved as its own Page Template. Sorry, I skipped that part. When saving, set "Overwrite Template" to No and give it a new Page Template name.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

That will be a mess and a lot of work to put a new widget to all channels. You could use a template-hook and 1 new template on this hook . In the template you need one or more if conditions.

HTML Code:
          <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == X">
          Text or better a phrase for channelid X!
          <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == Y" />
          Text or better a phrase for channelid Y!
          <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == Z" />
          Text or better a phrase for channelid Z!
          </vb:if>
          You could also use the "display template" widget/ module to display your template, but without border!

Comment

It is really six one way and half a dozen another. Using a large number of conditionals in a template is also messy can can potentially slow down processing.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

You are right, the best option is to get it from cache or database but unfortunately many people don't know how to do. If the forum have a lot of channels you could group it again like:
              HTML Code:
              <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] AND in_array($page['channelid'], array(1, 10, 15))">
                <vb:if condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 1">
                  Text or better a phrase for channelid 1!
                <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 10" />
                  Text or better a phrase for channelid 10!
                <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] and $page['channelid'] == 15" />
                  Text or better a phrase for channelid 15!
              <vb:elseif condition="$page['nodeid'] == $page['channelid'] AND in_array($page['channelid'], array(16, 20, 25))" />

Comment