vb4 or vb5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vb4 or vb5?

I was running vb 3.8 for the longest time but my webhost forced me to upgrade the forum software.

I'm upgraded to 4.25 so far which cause lots of changes to the site. My forum users are getting acclimated to everything.

My question is, how many of you upgraded to vb5 and do you like the changes or do you prefer vb4 instead?

vBulletin 4.X is end of life and not supported by modern servers. There is a big chance that in the future, your hosting provider will upgrade PHP to a more secure version than unsupported versions of PHP 5.6 through 7.1 and you will need to upgrade again.

Using the Classic homepage provided by vBulletin 5 along with some permission changes, the initial differences over vBulletin 4.2.5 will be minimal and you can add additional features over time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I converted our vb forum from 4.2.5 to the vb version 5.6.4 about 8 days ago, mostly because our hosting provider no longer supported the PHP that 4.2.5 liked, which is exactly what Mr. Luke stated above. The old forum software was generating many errors and some administrative functions wouldn't work anymore. So I bit the bullet.

What I and our thousands of users are finding is that in addition to vb5 being slower, many of the popular features and functions that users have used for years are simply not available in vb5. The conversion has not been a happy experience.

Comment

dirknerkle Which features are your users missing that weren't provided by third-party addons?

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dirknerkle
          dirknerkle commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still compiling a list. On our old system, we never added any 3rd party functions -- it was all native vb 4.2.5
          Last edited by dirknerkle; Thu 25 Feb '21, 11:21am.