Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After restoring db in a new host, weird tesxts and unusable forum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • After restoring db in a new host, weird tesxts and unusable forum

    Hello,
    I closed my forum, got a db backup, transferred all files and the db to the new host, and restored the db using putty. The forum now seems doesn't support none Latin text. It looks weird and unusable. I contacted the host support and they have no idea what to do to make it show Arabic letters correctly.
    However, I have a WordPress blog in the same root and it works great. This make me sure it's not a server issue, i guess it's a db char-set one, but this is difficult for me to fix.
    Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated indeed.

    Best regards

    Click image for larger version

Name:	forum_text_issue.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	4454108
    Attached Files

  • #2
    This is a common issue when the new database server is set to use a character set and collation that is different from the old database server. These need to match between the two servers in order to maintain the display of data. The issue is the number of bytes used to store UTF-8 characters. Some character sets and collations use a variable 2-4 bytes per UTF-8 character. Some use 4 bytes per UTF-8 character. Character sets that do no support UTF-8 use one byte per character.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      This is a common issue when the new database server is set to use a character set and collation that is different from the old database server. These need to match between the two servers in order to maintain the display of data. The issue is the number of bytes used to store UTF-8 characters. Some character sets and collations use a variable 2-4 bytes per UTF-8 character. Some use 4 bytes per UTF-8 character. Character sets that do no support UTF-8 use one byte per character.
      After searching the internet and reading about "database server connection collation", and comparing the settings of the new host server and the previous one, I changed the settings in"phpmyadmin" and it worked. But I got an error message at the end of the conversion process I don't know if i should worry about it or not. Have a look to this screen shot and tell me if it's a significant issue, please.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	db_error_in_phpmyadmin.png
Views:	8
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	4454148
      Attached Files

      Comment

      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X