RSS Feeds Not Updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS Feeds Not Updating

I am getting my forum setup and have established RSS feeds to be posted to a channel by a Bot. It worked for two of the RSS feeds on first run, but never updated again nor did it run the third RSS at all. When I preview, there is content available, so the feed is not the problem.

For good measure, I changed the user from the bot to my administrator account, but that didn't change anything. Is there an issue or some permission that I am missing? If I have it set to check the feed every 10, 30, 60 minutes, etc... I would expect that it would show the updated last check timestamp, but instead - it is stuck at the first update and the 3rd is still blank. Any ideas on what is going on?

Is the forum active? Your scheduled tasks will only run if there is activity on the forums.

Comment

Its a new forum... just starting it, but I've posted to it from a couple of accounts. So as far as it being active, I'd say so - unless there is some minimum level of activity or posts the system is looking for. I can't say that I've run across any setting like that yet though. It posted once just fine. I moved one of the posts to a more appropriate channel as a test of how that would work. Nothing has worked since.

Moreover, when I try to manually update, nothing changes - the update time remains several hours ago.
      Last edited by BrandoninSC; Mon 22 Feb '21, 6:05pm.

Comment

You can manually reset the RSS scheduled task in the AdminCP Scheduled Task Manager.

"Active" ad hoc means there must be activity on the forums when the scheduled task is scheduled to run.

If you're not actively using the forums every ten minutes then scheduling the task to run that frequently will cause the task to stop executing.

When your forums are active with users this is not an issue but when you are the only user and setting up ...

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to use RSS feeds to help build content, but what I am understanding is that without users being active, this will not work. It seems like that would be a little more clear in documentation or in the program itself, but it's not working - so I can't argue it. Just seems a little pointless to render it useless without activity. But, if that's what the software does - this isn't the place to complain about it. Thanks again.

Comment

In order to ensure that all Scheduled Tasks run at the time they are scheduled, you need someone to load a front page of your forums a minimum of 1 time every five minutes, 24 hours a day. If you do not have this traffic, then the tasks are entered into a log and one task is run per user per page load every five minutes. This is due to the nature of the PHP and the fact that vBulletin is not an executable application but a series of PHP Scripts.

If you do not have this traffic, you can workaround this using the vbcron.php file available in the do_not_upload folder. This file must be run from the command line of your server using the php command via your server's scheduled task processor (i.e crontab). The instructions are located in the header comments of the file. Open it in any text editor to read them.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BrandoninSC
              BrandoninSC commented
              Editing a comment
              currently, here is the error email I am receiving.

/home/customer/www/sitename.com/public_html/core/vb/vbcron.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory
              /home/customer/www/sitename.com/public_html/core/vb/vbcron.php: line 2: =: command not found
              /home/customer/www/sitename.com/public_html/core/vb/vbcron.php: line 4: /*==================: No such file or directory
              /home/customer/www/sitename.com/public_html/core/vb/vbcron.php: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `$core'
              /home/customer/www/sitename.com/public_html/core/vb/vbcron.php: line 5: `require_once($core . '/vb/vb.php');'

sitename = my website name

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              vbcron.php should not be placed in /core/vb. In fact, it really shouldn't be placed in public_html at all. It should be at least in the same level as public_html.

Thanks, I've almost got it figured out. I just cant seem to get the vb path correct in the php file. its obviously not "/core/vb/". What would the syntax be for the path?

Comment

Your complete path from the root directory of the drive will be something like: /var/www/html/{username}/public_html/{vbulletin}/core/.

Upload the attached file to your vBulletin directory. Run it in the browser or from the command line. Add /core to the end.

Attached Files
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X