How To Create Trending Topics Sub NavTab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Create Trending Topics Sub NavTab

I need to create a 'trending topics' tab where moderators/admin can move various forum topics to just like we have here on https://forum.vbulletin.com/trending.
    Its a massive prerequisite to our forum deliverables. I appreciate your help. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by adamu; Fri 12 Feb '21, 4:51am.

That is a custom page.
    1. In the Site Builder Menu at the top of the page, click New Page.
    2. Drag the "Trending" module to the page.
    3. Set the module options as you feel necessary.
    4. Save the page. Note the URL you give it. I suggest something like /trending.
    5. Click on Navigation Bar in the Site Builder Menu.
    6. Add a new navigation item.
    7. Give it a name.
    8. Set the URL to the one you created previously.
    9. Save the link.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I successfully achieved the trending page thank you. However, what I wanted is quite dissimilar to what I have. I want to be able to move stories from various blog to the trending page and not automatically.
      So that the result will be similar to this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	NL template.png
Views:	335
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	4454263

So I decided to use the Article function instead but it's not efficient at all:

Name:	FN.png
Views:	396
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	4454264
      Especially because the links are different from forum when you copy them, and is removed from forum when you move them.

I would imagine that if I create a new forum named Trending displaying by itself on a new page, I can easily move interesting topics there and the conversation is not disrupted. Kindly assist.

Comment

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish here. So...

What is a trending topic? Or what do you think a trending topic is? Why do you want to move them into a single location instead of using a search?

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

i guesss i should have started a new thread instead because i was able to create the trending page which this topic was initially meant for.

Comment

To answer your question. A Trending Topic is what the administrators say it is. Perhaps the accurate word to use is Curated Topics. The site owner wants to curate topics from with various forums to a different page for site members/visitors. Hence search does not satisfy the requirement.
            Last edited by adamu; Sat 27 Feb '21, 7:21am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish here. So...

What is a trending topic? Or what do you think a trending topic is? Why do you want to move them into a single location instead of using a search?
              To answer your question. A Trending Topic is what the administrators say it is. Perhaps the accurate word to use is Curated Topics. The site owner wants to curate topics from with various forums to a different page for site members/visitors. Hence search does not satisfy the requirement.

Comment

Do you know about the Featured Topic feature?

On the inline moderation drop down, you can mark a topic as featured and then create a page like this: Featured Topics - vBulletin Community Forum

This is also a search... Just searches on Featured Topics. Not location, trending, or other criteria. You can easily mark topics as Featured and remove them as needed to update the list. To do this,
                1. Add a search module to your page.
                2. Edit its settings.
                3. Click "Switch to Advanced Editor".
                4. Enter the following in the JSON field: {"channel":["1"],"featured":"1","sort":{"created":"desc"},"view":"","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}
                5. Save the module.
                6. Save the page.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks. This is the closest to what I have in mind. Please how do I remove other items eg. avatar; by {username} and content preview to remain only the topic title.

Comment

In the JSON string, replace "view":"", with "view":"compact",

So the JSON becomes this:
                    {"channel":["1"],"featured":"1","sort":{"created":"desc"},"view":"compact","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Great!!! New challenge though. I set the new page as homepage but it redirected to the old homepage instead. I could not access the new page until I had set the old homepage (which did not change) back as homepage. So I am stuck with my old homepage, I cant change or delete it. I cleared cache in maintenance. Still the same.

Comment

How are you setting a page to the homepage?

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I go on tbe new page and edit then chech make homepage box before saving

Comment

So this works. But the text are quite little and the spaces betwen lines (padding) can become double.
                            Attached Files

Comment

What is the link to the 'misbehaving' home page? What are you clicking on to take you to the incorrect home page?

The text in the module should be the same size as all the other text on your site. You can increase the text size globally by increasing the value in the global_text_font style variable in the AdminCP. Set the size to something like 1.4 or 1.6 to make it larger. You can access this style variable in your AdminCP under Styles -> Style Manager. Then choose "Style Variable Editor" from the Choose Action dropdown for your style. See image below.

Name:	2021-03-05_10-01-47.png
Views:	278
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	4454595

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment