Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post title url link broken

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Post title url link broken

    I have a post that the url is broken. I can "see" the post when I hover on the link, so I know it's there. When I click on the url it says "This page isn't working".

    The title link has artifact in it [ Don�t solve problems by whitewashing ] which I assume is causing the problem.

    Inspecting the page doesn't provide me any further clues to edit the title to repair the link.

    I couldn't find any tool in the admincp, and a quick search here didn't return any options.

    Any other ideas?
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

    "Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

  • #2
    I need to add that mysql was updated from 5.6.xx to 5.7
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

    "Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

    Comment


    • #3

      Have you tried viewing the forum\channel the topic is posted in and double clicking the whitespace next to the topic title then renaming the topic?

      When you rename it, it should change the URL for it. I'm not 100% sure that will work to fix it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
      It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
      --General Douglas MacArthur

      Comment


      • #4
        I should have mentioned that I did try that without success.
        adktramping ~ my happy place.

        "Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm, I'm not sure then... you could try moving it to another channel or even merging it into another topic and then moving it back out into it's own topic, but I'm not sure that will work either.

          I tried to recreate that issue, but it worked just fine with the title\URL as "Don�t solve problems by whitewashing."
          It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
          --General Douglas MacArthur

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're getting that character it means that the character set you're using doesn't recognize the apostrophe.

            Is this on a desktop or a mobile device?

            Does this occur in one specific browser or all browsers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Don�t
              This is a UTF-8 issue. That black question mark is actually a "single closing curly quote." These are very commonly used on newer devices especially mobile devices since they look nicer.

              My guess is that the URL Ident stored in the node table is misconfigured. This can happen if you moved from a database that supports UTF-8 to one that does not. The answer to prevent it from happening is to convert the database to UTF-8. Preferably UTF8MB4 specifically.

              For this specific item, the urlident field in the node table will need to be manually edited to remove any improper characters. UTF-8 characters are not technically allowed in URLs according to the HTTP standards. Switching to "Route Channels and Conversations By Nodeid" in the AdminCP should allow a temporary fix until the database changes are made.

              Settings -> Options -> Site URLs and Routing.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

                This is a UTF-8 issue. The answer to prevent it from happening is to convert the database to UTF-8. Preferably UTF8MB4 specifically.
                This was it!

                The collation changed from utf8 to latin during the db upgrade. I changed it back using the Mysql workbench, and all is good.

                Thank you Wayne Luke
                adktramping ~ my happy place.

                "Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X