"sigpic" Instead of Signature Picture After Upgrade from 4.2.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "sigpic" Instead of Signature Picture After Upgrade from 4.2.5

After a test upgrade from vB 4.2.5 to 5.6.4 our members' Signature Picture images are no longer showing in post signatures, or on the user edit page in AdminCP.

Instead the post signatures have replaced the image with plaintext "sigpic".

However the images are present, and evidently still associated with their users. https://[myforum]/image.php?u=1201&type=sigpic will find the picture just fine.

Is there something we can do during the upgrade from 4.2.5 to prevent this user field from being lost?

I believe this is a bug.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20584

Comment

Hmm. The bug description sounds like a problem with inserting an uploaded signature picture into the signature editor field. Is this related to the 4.2.5 db import failing to associate user signature pictures with their respective users?

I've followed the bug tracker description now, and attempted to upload a small .JPG to my profile to test it. After selecting a local file (before I could even click "Thumbnail," step 4) I receive this error:

Code:
      Image resize failed due to your image library not having support for this image type.
      Uploading through the AdminCP user editor also returns:

Code:
      [B]API Error[/B]
      [B]Error:[/B] thumbnail_nosupport
      Obviously I have lots of JPGs in my image library.

Comment

Update: I can upload the image through the backend and frontend interfaces now that we've installed Php7.4-gd.

However uploaded signature pictures still don't show up on the AdminCP user edit page, below the avatar -- even when I upload the image through the button here.

Edit: Investigating a bit further shows that after the upgrade from 4.2.5 all previous user signature pics are in a database table called "sigpic" (2000+ images), while the two we've uploaded today are in the table "sigpicnew". Any ideas why "sigpic" was not associated with the imported users?
        Last edited by DarrenS; Fri 22 Jan '21, 12:19am.

Comment

The actual bug is this one - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19452

The only workaround is that users need to re-upload signature images.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks -- that's definitely it.

I see the bug was reported a year and a half ago and listed as "Major." Any idea why it's still unassigned and unaddressed?

Comment

Well, Major doesn't mean much to be honest. I wish it did but priorities have never been a strong indicator of when a bug would get fixed. In the case of our bug tracker, major means major effort to resolve. I don't even know if that is true with this specific issue. The reporter picks the priority and unless it is grossly incorrect it isn't often changed. Many people will mark every issue as critical or blocking. Then many issues have very little benefit to a wide range of customers. They may affect one customer and that is why they sit. It doesn't help that this specific issue has only one vote as well. That says very few people find it an issue as far as development goes. Even though voting has also been flawed over time.

There are a lot of old issues that I would like to get fixed. In the long run it comes down to time required, other issues to be fixed, and which is having more of a lasting impact on the customer base as a whole.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment