Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to build reputation by quoting or mentioning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to build reputation by quoting or mentioning?

To my knowledge, the only way a user can give reputation to another user. Is there some way to configure the system to also give reputation when someone is quoted or mentioned? Users getting quoted a lot are, to my experience, also the most valuable users who deserve reputation.

This would require custom code.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

You should enter a feature request to add these options. I think they would enhance the system.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I can see benefits to this for a good number of forums. I can also see some potential issues.

What if a user quotes himself?

What if a post is deleted by forum administration or staff?

What if a user deletes data under the GDPR or CCPA or other privacy laws?

What if a post is popular and is quoted hundreds of times?

I agree with Wayne Luke that this would add to the functionality of the reputation system, if the reputation system were completely redeveloped.

As it stands now I don't know how you would differentiate reputation points for this from reputation points for anything else.

I'd still like to see a reputation system that reflects for what each user has received reputation and from whom.

Then you could base things like promotions on how much reputation a user has received for quoted posts or mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
          As it stands now I don't know how you would differentiate reputation points for this from reputation points for anything else.
          Sure you can. The reputation table already has this capability.
          I'd still like to see a reputation system that reflects for what each user has received reputation and from whom.
          The system already stores this in the reputation table.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Many of my users tend quote unnecessarily and excessively, especially new users who have a tendency to click the Quote button because they don't realize that the reply box is at the bottom of the thread. It also seems to me that often posts are quoted because they are not clear or informative to begin with and further clarification is needed. Those quotes should receive negative reputation, not reinforcement. I also worry that if quoting is seen as a way of increasing someone's reputation, that it will result in more unnecessary quoting. It should be recognized that screen space is at a premium for users on mobile devices, and excessive quoting is a major annoyance for them.

Finally, if I'm quoting or referencing someone because they posted erroneous information or an opinion with which I disagree, I don't want to be enhancing the reputation of that user in doing so.

So, not a fan of this idea for my community, but realize every community is different and if implemented, it should be implemented as an option.
            Last edited by OrganForum; Wed 20 Jan '21, 6:41am.
            VB 5.6.4
            PHP 7.4
            MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course. Such an addition would most likely need a switch to turn it on or off. Very few things are ever added to the software without some sort of switch.