Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable comments on Articles (CMS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable comments on Articles (CMS)

Hi there and happy new year. I would like to disable comments on all CMS articles on my site. Discussion can take place in forum posts, but the articles should be for information only; no replies on the article post. I see that it can be done on each article individually when posted or by manually editing, but I would like to globally turn off comments on articles instead of having to edit each article that gets posted with comments set to YES. How do I turn-off commenting in articles - globally for the system? I don't want it as an option when a member reads or posts an article. I am running VB 5.6.4. Thank you!

Kether

Try this:
    AdminCP > Usergroups > Channel Permissions
    Look for Articles category, and adjust permissions for each usergroup, specifically "Can reply to topics". There are other settings in there that might be relevant as well.

I can't test this because I'm just coming back to vB and don't have any forum members yet, but that's the first thing I'd try.
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Originally posted by cbiweb View Post
      Try this:
      AdminCP > Usergroups > Channel Permissions
      Look for Articles category, and adjust permissions for each usergroup, specifically "Can reply to topics". There are other settings in there that might be relevant as well.

I can't test this because I'm just coming back to vB and don't have any forum members yet, but that's the first thing I'd try.
      Thank you, I will give it a go. I thought it would come down to editing individual permissions and hoped there was a simple one click solution instead.

Kind regards,
      Kether

Comment

Originally posted by 1kether1 View Post

Thank you, I will give it a go. I thought it would come down to editing individual permissions and hoped there was a simple one click solution instead.

Kind regards,
        Kether
        Yeah it's bit annoying to edit each user group, but at least you only have to do it once. If there is another way, hopefully someone else will tell us.

Comment

Originally posted by cbiweb View Post

Yeah it's bit annoying to edit each user group, but at least you only have to do it once. If there is another way, hopefully someone else will tell us.
          Well, I have to do it once on my test site and then again on my live site. I really should reduce the amount of usergroups. Maybe that is the next step, Keep it simple. lol Thank you for your suggestion and specific instructions. I'm happy to report it worked. Now, I just need to edit the remaining usergroups. haha... Cheers!

Comment

Problem with making things like this into a global setting is that we then get complaints it’s not usergroup specific.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              Problem with making things like this into a global setting is that we then get complaints it’s not usergroup specific.
              I haven't gotten a chance to dig deep into the vB5 code yet, but would it be hard to make it an option?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                I understand, but for people who use the software like I do, it would be helpful if it was an option. Thank you for taking the time to reply, Mark.

Regards,
                K

Comment

It is a balancing act. There was a global option under Settings -> Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options. People complained about it not being specific enough. We've found that when we try to apply both Global Options and More Specific Permissions, that customers tend to get confused as well. So the More Specific Permissions will win out when possible. Which brings its own issues. It is always going to be an issue for someone when you're designing for thousands of sites.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    It is a balancing act. There was a global option under Settings -> Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options. People complained about it not being specific enough. We've found that when we try to apply both Global Options and More Specific Permissions, that customers tend to get confused as well. So the More Specific Permissions will win out when possible. Which brings its own issues. It is always going to be an issue for someone when you're designing for thousands of sites.
                    Thank you, Wayne!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X