Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

extra smiles in VB/images/smilies or VB/core/images/smilies ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fpostma
    commented on 's reply
    I did see the adding of /core/ for when the javascript-window with smilies on normal pages is made, but it's not done for admincp. At least not when I looked at admincp/image.php which I believe should do it. Currently we have smilies with /core/ in path which works ok for the forum itself, they just don't show in admincp, but I canlive with that

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by cbiweb View Post

Not complaining, not judging, but surprised (curious rather) that vB4 is still so much a part of 5 more than ten years later. We had vB1, 2, 3 and 4 all in the space of 9 years, yet 5 is almost that old and still basically behind. 🤔
    In reality, it is not that different from previous versions. Every version from 1-4 kept a lot of the older code and just updated it. Some of the code goes back much longer than a decade. Most of vBulletin 5 is a different paradigm though. Just look at the front-end system which is index.php, ./includes/ and ./js/. One file in the root compared to quite a few in vBulletin 4.X.

There are books written about refactor vs. rewrite when it comes to code. Both have pros and cons. vBulletin undergoes refactoring.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 18 Jan '21, 11:17am.

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    It is because the AdminCP is mostly vBulletin 4.X legacy code. ... Personally, I would like all the legacy code to be removed so that the AdminCP directory was self-contained. ... It is happening slowly but isn't a main focus of development. We've already reduced the /core/includes directory to about 20% of its vBulletin 4.X size.
    Not complaining, not judging, but surprised (curious rather) that vB4 is still so much a part of 5 more than ten years later. We had vB1, 2, 3 and 4 all in the space of 9 years, yet 5 is almost that old and still basically behind. 🤔

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It is because the AdminCP is mostly vBulletin 4.X legacy code. Some has been updated to use the APIs but not all of it.

In vBulletin 4.X, the AdminCP expects to find smilies at an Absolute URL (i.e. https://www.domain.com/images/smilies/smilies.gif) or at ../images/smilies. The second means up one directory then images/smilies/. Since the AdminCP resides in the /core/ directory, it will always look at /core/images/smilies unless you use absolute URLs. We recommended against absolute URLs because it causes problems if you move things.

However, this causes an issue with the front-end which takes paths literally. So to fix the problem, it was decided in the early days to automatically add /core/ to the image paths for smilies, icons, ranks, and other images inherited from vBulletin 4.X. It would be nice if this is improved and the entire /core/images directory was removed. That would requiring updating the AdminCP to be smarter but since it currently works, it is low priority at this time. Personally, I would like all the legacy code to be removed so that the AdminCP directory was self-contained. Then it could be moved elsewhere. This would also allow the removal of most of the directories in the /core/ directory. It is happening slowly but isn't a main focus of development. We've already reduced the /core/includes directory to about 20% of its vBulletin 4.X size.

Leave a comment:

• fpostma
    replied
    Okay, core/images it is then.. that does indeed work. Bit confused on why the smilies worked in the other location in smilies-mgr but hey.. it works on entire forum now Thanks for clearing that up!

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied
    The default path for smilies is .../core/images/smilies (in your case it goes one more step to /aw1).

Once you place them there, go to AdminCP > Smilies > Add New Smilie.
    There are two sections there: 'Add A Single Smilie' and 'Add Multiple Smilies'.
    The fastest way is to simply click the "Add Smilies" button in the 'Add Multiple Smilies' section. This will work even if you're adding a single smilie.
    Your smilie(s) should now show up when making a post.

Bottom line is, after placing smilies in .../core/images/smilies/, you need to add or upload them via the Smilies section in AdminCP.
    There are multiple options there. Explore and use what suits you best.

Leave a comment:

• extra smiles in VB/images/smilies or VB/core/images/smilies ?

This is on vb564

I'm trying to add extra smilies to our forum. I placed them in /vbulletin/images/smilies/aw1/embarrest.gif , entry in smilie mgr is "aw1/embarrest.gif" and in smilie mgr it works fine.
    However in the forum the the smilie dropdown belog replies tries to load that image from core/images/smilies/aw1/embarrest.gif (which expands to /vbulletin/core/images/smilies/aw1/embarrest.gif) but the image isn't there of course.

When editing the smilie in admincp I only enter "aw1/embarrest.gif" but the DB entry is already somwhat expanded to ;
    Code:
    smiliepath: images/smilies/aw1/embarrest.gif
    Which of the two directories should the custom smilie be in?

#1 /vbulletin/images/smilies/aw1/
    #2 /vbulletin/core/images/smilies/aw1/