Unable to Reply in Events/Poll only channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Reply in Events/Poll only channels

I set up an Events only channel by setting all Create Permissions to No with the exception of Can Create Events, which is set to Yes. So far so good, The issue is that with this setting, no one can reply or comment should they seek additional information. I had assumed, incorrectly it seems, that since Event type posts can only be created for topic starters, that Text type posts would be allowed for replies. That is not the case, however, and the reply editor for topics in this channel is replaced by a "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page" message. Comments are also not available as the Comment option on the topic starter is not available. Bottom line, it appears that if you want Replies, you must set Can Create Text Posts to Yes.

Is there a way to ensure that the topic starter is always a certain post type while still allowing replies or comments?

The reason I want to limit starting topics to Event types is that users persist in avoiding using this post type when posting events, causing their events to not to be posted to the Calendar. This would not be a problem but for the fact that there is no way to edit their post to change it to an Event type.

This issue is also present when the Poll Event is the only Create Permissions option for a channel.
    VB 5.6.4
    PHP 7.4
    MySQL 5.7.24

In the Channel Manager:
    Set Can Create Events to Yes
    Set Can Reply To Yes
    Set Can Comment To Yes
    Set Everything else to No

Comment

• OrganForum
      OrganForum commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that's how I set it up, with the expectation that Can Comment and Can Reply Channel Permissions would override the fact that Can Create Text Posts was set to No.

They do not.

You have to grant "Can Create Text Posts" at the minimum. Polls and Events cannot be used as Replies. Replies are Text Posts by default. Honestly, I don't know why there is a permission to disable this content type.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
      In Omnibus commented
      Editing a comment
      There are use cases where someone may not want it to be possible to do anything other than read a channel. Or vote on a poll without replying or commenting. I like having the option.

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don't want them to be able to reply, there is a specific permission for that - Can Reply to Topics. Removing the "Can Create Text Permission" wouldn't remove any options. However, it would reduce confusion such as this topic. This isn't the first time this has come up.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You have to grant "Can Create Text Posts" at the minimum. Polls and Events cannot be used as Replies. Replies are Text Posts by default. Honestly, I don't know why there is a permission to disable this content type.
    I agree. As currently implemented setting "Can Create Text Posts" to No is only useful for creating single post topics; however, it would be more useful if that permission did not apply to replies and/or comments.

Although I like the concept of different post types, in practice they're confusing to users and almost never used. Let's take images for example. There are at least three ways of including images in posts: using the Photo post type, attachments, and editor toolbar button. With the recent, not unwelcome, update that displays attached images in the same lightbox as the Photo post type is largely superfluous.

Why do we need a Link post type? Yes, actually embedding a thumbnail image and text from the link's contents is useful, but Facebook, and other platforms, simply do this automatically with an option to opt out.

Event and Poll post types provide desirable functionality, but are crippled by the fact that they must be the topic starter. And as others have noted, the inability to alter a post type once submitted is frustrating.

My entire reason in creating an Events only channel was an attempt to circumvent this limitation by making it impossible to post an event without including the pertinent information while at the same time ensuring that it appears on the Calendar. Unfortunately, without the ability for users to comment or request additional information, I'll need to rethink that approach without a work-around.

VB 5.6.4
    PHP 7.4
    MySQL 5.7.24

Comment