Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Well I'll think about it ... I can see I'm not the first to question the problem .. just dont understand why your devs take the notion to change something good for the worse and just keep fobbing people off about it .....like they know better ? .. people dont have time to click here there and everywhere .. if the info doesn't come up on first look .. 'boom' they're off and that aint no good for memberships.... or your platform

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can restore your vBulletin 4 database and pick up where it left off. Any data created after upgrading to vBulletin 5 will be lost. vBulletin 5 has a completely different database structure and that is not backwards compatible. I do understand change is hard, but if your site is busy enough the occurrences of both post and topic starter showing in a module should be low. Really just a period of adapting and learning how to take advantage of the newer capabilities.

I cannot speak about refunds. You have to contact sales on that.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    can they reinstate my vb 4 forum and gie me my mony back ? Clearly the new product cant do the same as the old

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The system doesn't necessarily know that a post is a reply. That isn't always necessary information. There is nothing in the node record that says "This is a reply." A post has a parent ID. That can be another post or a channel. It would significantly increase search times to check every single parent for 500 results to see if it is a channel or another post. Every search returns a large number of results to account for permissions and throwing out those the user cannot see.

When the system displays a topic including all of its replies and comments, it will then use the parent ID and the datetime to organize that topic in the proper display order. This isn't necessary information for a search.
    Thanks Wayne I appreciate your time to reply to me.. but youve failed to appreciate my request and obfuscated the question

Last posts mean only last posts .. nothing else .. clearly the software cant do it ....

I'm regretting my upgrade now .. this should be very simple stuff .. I cant believe its not possible ... your devs took an age to upgrade me .. this whole experience has been bad from start to finish

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The system doesn't necessarily know that a post is a reply. That isn't always necessary information. There is nothing in the node record that says "This is a reply." A post has a parent ID. That can be another post or a channel. It would significantly increase search times to check every single parent for 500 results to see if it is a channel or another post. Every search returns a large number of results to account for permissions and throwing out those the user cannot see.

When the system displays a topic including all of its replies and comments, it will then use the parent ID and the datetime to organize that topic in the proper display order. This isn't necessary information for a search.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    I don't think that what you want is possible. It is either topics or posts. The search engine is completely different than what was in vBulletin 4.X. How topics are structured in the database is different than vBulletin 4.X. The search engine doesn't really know if a post is the topic or starter or not. That isn't a criteria.
    But it knows if a post is a 'reply to' because thats what each last post is preceded with ? where as original posts have no such comment, And it also must know the date of the original post is well before the replies that come after it .. if only there was a way just to not show the first post .. we'd be home and dry

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I don't think that what you want is possible. It is either topics or posts. The search engine is completely different than what was in vBulletin 4.X. How topics are structured in the database is different than vBulletin 4.X. The search engine doesn't really know if a post is the topic or starter or not. That isn't a criteria.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    An opening post is a post. It will be shown if it is one of the last XX posts that were made. XX depends on how many posts you show in the result. Just because you're showing posts it doesn't mean the opening post will be excluded.

Well thats not the query I want to see ... VB4 and other forums like Xen seemed to have managed it easily where you ONLY see the last comments on a thread .. not the original thread post its self, along side later posts, and as far as I can see, I cannot exclude the OP's first post .. this is very annoying, and confuses the reader, who wants to browse quickly

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    An opening post is a post. It will be shown if it is one of the last XX posts that were made. XX depends on how many posts you show in the result. Just because you're showing posts it doesn't mean the opening post will be excluded.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Sorry... Was away and out sick.

Uncheck the box labeled "Started Posts Only" next to the Username box. The search module should show posts then. This checkbox is poorly labeled and located in the dialog.
    Ah ... hope you are feeling better Wayne. That box was already unchecked, I enabled it then refreshed and un checked it again but the search module still shows last responses as well as the OP's opening post

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Sorry... Was away and out sick.

Uncheck the box labeled "Started Posts Only" next to the Username box. The search module should show posts then. This checkbox is poorly labeled and located in the dialog.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Ok .. so its not possible to just have last posts only then ?

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Ok a little tweek , maybe .. its showing latest posts but still showing the original post of a topic at the same time, when its just the last post reply I want to see ?

Leave a comment:

• Bigmuz7
    replied
    Got it Wayne thanks 🙂 didnt realise it was a search module ..
    Last edited by Bigmuz7; Fri 18 Dec '20, 5:12am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This is new functionality within vBulletin 5. It didn't exist in vBulletin 4.

Maybe you're confusing it with Latest Posts which is possible in a search module not using the Trending filter. Like the default Latest Activity module on a new install. Please outline exactly what you're trying to show and where and I can help you adjust a search module to fit your needs.

Leave a comment: