Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

View last post in Trending side block

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • View last post in Trending side block

    I cant seem to configure this right .. I can display 'last thread replied to' in the block , which also shows the first post of that thread but I want to see the last post of the thread, not the first ?
    www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

  • #2
    Trending shows topics, not posts. A post cannot be trending. I do not think that what you want to do is possible.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok thanks Wayne .. my old VB4 members are complaining as this was possible in VB4 ..so apart from hitting the latest posts button in the NAV bar, there is no way to have front page visibility of new posts in a thread ?
      www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

      Comment


      • #4
        This is new functionality within vBulletin 5. It didn't exist in vBulletin 4.

        Maybe you're confusing it with Latest Posts which is possible in a search module not using the Trending filter. Like the default Latest Activity module on a new install. Please outline exactly what you're trying to show and where and I can help you adjust a search module to fit your needs.

        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

        Comment


        • #5
          Got it Wayne thanks 🙂 didnt realise it was a search module ..
          Last edited by Bigmuz7; Fri 18 Dec '20, 5:12am.
          www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok a little tweek , maybe .. its showing latest posts but still showing the original post of a topic at the same time, when its just the last post reply I want to see ?
            www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok .. so its not possible to just have last posts only then ?
              www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry... Was away and out sick.

                Uncheck the box labeled "Started Posts Only" next to the Username box. The search module should show posts then. This checkbox is poorly labeled and located in the dialog.
                Translations provided by Google.

                Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Sorry... Was away and out sick.

                  Uncheck the box labeled "Started Posts Only" next to the Username box. The search module should show posts then. This checkbox is poorly labeled and located in the dialog.
                  Ah ... hope you are feeling better Wayne. That box was already unchecked, I enabled it then refreshed and un checked it again but the search module still shows last responses as well as the OP's opening post
                  www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    An opening post is a post. It will be shown if it is one of the last XX posts that were made. XX depends on how many posts you show in the result. Just because you're showing posts it doesn't mean the opening post will be excluded.
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      An opening post is a post. It will be shown if it is one of the last XX posts that were made. XX depends on how many posts you show in the result. Just because you're showing posts it doesn't mean the opening post will be excluded.

                      Well thats not the query I want to see ... VB4 and other forums like Xen seemed to have managed it easily where you ONLY see the last comments on a thread .. not the original thread post its self, along side later posts, and as far as I can see, I cannot exclude the OP's first post .. this is very annoying, and confuses the reader, who wants to browse quickly



                      www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think that what you want is possible. It is either topics or posts. The search engine is completely different than what was in vBulletin 4.X. How topics are structured in the database is different than vBulletin 4.X. The search engine doesn't really know if a post is the topic or starter or not. That isn't a criteria.
                        Translations provided by Google.

                        Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          I don't think that what you want is possible. It is either topics or posts. The search engine is completely different than what was in vBulletin 4.X. How topics are structured in the database is different than vBulletin 4.X. The search engine doesn't really know if a post is the topic or starter or not. That isn't a criteria.
                          But it knows if a post is a 'reply to' because thats what each last post is preceded with ? where as original posts have no such comment, And it also must know the date of the original post is well before the replies that come after it .. if only there was a way just to not show the first post .. we'd be home and dry
                          www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The system doesn't necessarily know that a post is a reply. That isn't always necessary information. There is nothing in the node record that says "This is a reply." A post has a parent ID. That can be another post or a channel. It would significantly increase search times to check every single parent for 500 results to see if it is a channel or another post. Every search returns a large number of results to account for permissions and throwing out those the user cannot see.

                            When the system displays a topic including all of its replies and comments, it will then use the parent ID and the datetime to organize that topic in the proper display order. This isn't necessary information for a search.
                            Translations provided by Google.

                            Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                              The system doesn't necessarily know that a post is a reply. That isn't always necessary information. There is nothing in the node record that says "This is a reply." A post has a parent ID. That can be another post or a channel. It would significantly increase search times to check every single parent for 500 results to see if it is a channel or another post. Every search returns a large number of results to account for permissions and throwing out those the user cannot see.

                              When the system displays a topic including all of its replies and comments, it will then use the parent ID and the datetime to organize that topic in the proper display order. This isn't necessary information for a search.
                              Thanks Wayne I appreciate your time to reply to me.. but youve failed to appreciate my request and obfuscated the question

                              Last posts mean only last posts .. nothing else .. clearly the software cant do it ....

                              I'm regretting my upgrade now .. this should be very simple stuff .. I cant believe its not possible ... your devs took an age to upgrade me .. this whole experience has been bad from start to finish
                              www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X